Danger of Identity Theft

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Danger of Identity Theft

Hi All
Danger of identity theft thanks to HSBC Bank.    Angry
From Telegraph Beware banks making fraudian slips. - Release date: 15/04/2008
The admission by HSBC that it lost details of 37,000 clients highlights - yet again - the dangers of ID theft, writes Nic Cicutti
For years now, we have become used to being lectured by banks and other financial institutions about the need to protect ourselves against the dangers of identity theft. But what if it is our own bank that is putting us in danger?
This is what happened at HSBC last week, as the bank admitted that it had "lost" a disc containing the personal details of 370,000 of its customers. The disc contains clients' dates of birth, life insurance details and information on smoking habits.
HSBC stressed that bank account details were not present and the disc was password-protected. But experts pointed out that an expert could breach such elementary protection within hours, while any personal information is useful to ID thieves.
Peter Gerrard, from moneysupermarket.com, a price comparison site, says: "For a bank that prides itself on first-class service this is unforgivable – it also doesn't do anything to re-build confidence among consumers at a time when the banking sector is heavily tarnished following a series of high-profile mishaps and blunders."

And Yes I am with HSBC. 
7 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Danger of Identity Theft

73 years with Midland/HSBC this year  Cool
Doubt my details were involved so not a panic Smiley
pbower

Such situations makes me wonder why they would have a disc containing such a large amount of data and so easily misplaced.  Just think, they get tetchy when you go £1 over drawn, lol
Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Whats daft about banks and credit companies is they are making it simple for people. How often do you ring them and get asked to put in your credit card number and maybe DOB. nearly all of them do this when you ring them. I have explained to them that 99% of phones have a call history and thus anyone can look up the last numbers and surprise surprise there is you credit card number and DOB etc.
If you do it at work then anyone can get the info, do it on a mobile and loose it. Truth that isnt all the info they need but its a good start they could know your name dob card number so they are 90% there without trying.
madjbright
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight

The admission by HSBC that it lost details of 37,000 clients highlights.........
......the personal details of 370,000 of its customers.....

I wonder whether it was 37,000 or 370,000. And then I ask why I wonder. Perhaps I shouldn't bother.
firefly2
Grafter

May be wrong but think the disc lost by HSBC  [me too customer] was  students data.  it is all unacceptable tho'. no am not a student. time has marched on. firefly2. Sad
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nadger
73 years with Midland/HSBC this year  Cool

Gee, sow you will remember this little feller then!

The logo of the defunct Midland Bank, now branded as a part of HSBC is from Wikipedia.
Quote From Wikipedia
Midland Bank was one of the Big Four banking groups in the United Kingdom. It is now part of HSBC. The bank was founded as the Birmingham and Midland Bank in Union Street, Birmingham, England in August 1836. It expanded in the Midlands, absorbing many local banks, and merged with the Central Bank of London Ltd in 1891, becoming the London City and Midland Bank. After a period of nationwide expansion, including the acquisition of many smaller banks, the name Midland Bank Ltd was adopted in 1923. By 1934 it was the largest deposit bank in the world. In 1992, it was taken over by HSBC Holdings plc.

nadger
Rising Star

Yep I remember the Griffin.
To clarify my father worked for Midland and opened a savings account for me when I was born. Have had a current account with them for over 50 years - just looked and I write so few cheques these days that my cheque book still says Midland and was printed in 1997 Smiley