Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Mail gets snubbed.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Daily Mail gets snubbed.

Well would you believe it Wink

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia-bans-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-fo...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
15 REPLIES
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Daily Mail gets snubbed.

Because The Guardian is so much more accurate and unbiased?

Minivanman
Hero

Not at all, but you have to agree that some are far worse than others and if you go back over my posts you will find that I have been just as critical of the Guardian.

Never a reader, but it has been said that the only UK newspaper to come anywhere near the truth over the years has been the Financial Times.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Guardian contributors may have their opinions but they are clearly confined to the opinion pages. The news report pages are far less slanted than most other papers - the only one that comes close is the Independent.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The move is highly unusual for the online encyclopaedia, which rarely puts in place a blanket ban on publications and which still allows links to sources such as Kremlin backed news organisation Russia Today, and Fox News, both of which have raised concern among editors.

The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

[The Guardian] Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

I doubt the irony of one newspaper reporting on the twists and turns of another escapes anybody but political bias apart, the Mail is guilty of telling some right porkies, and that's a fact.

Fixes: 123

Minivanman wrote:

the Mail is guilty of telling some right porkies, and that's a fact.

But is a staple of General ChatWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

So that's OK then? Thumbs Up

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I used to read the Daily Mail when its editor was Sir David English - in those days it was (IMHO) a good source of news - however, as soon as he retired, I noticed a rapid slide to the bottom, and stopped buying it, to be replaced by the Independent, but then that paper decided to rename itself the Bias, so I , stopped reading any paper.

These days, sad to say, I just skim BBC online and rely on others on forums like this ocaisionally posting links to articles - whether I read them or not now depends on the subject (and yes, the source).

John
Community Veteran

A few nights ago on Channel 4 (I think) there was a quiz based on false news. One of the challenges was for members of the "team" to tweet rubbish news and to score on how much press coverage it got.

Guess what, the DM managed to pick up the rubbish and publish it on either it's paper or web site, or both, along with the Grauniad and the Express. So there you go!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Has the Grauniad since published a correction? They usually do.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I think the story just disappeared from their web site, never to be seen again! Roll eyes

Community Veteran

jelv wrote:

Has the Grauniad since published a correction? They usually do.

As does the Daiy Mail. If they receive a complaint they investigate and if they are wrong it is corrected on page 2.

Journalists are required to observe the Editors' Code of Practice and the DM is a member of the IPSO, the regulatory body for the Press which was set up in response of Leveson.

Community Veteran

@artmo

Are the news web sites subject to this rule? I can't ever remember seeing a retraction/apology. Granted the actual papers do, but it seems ok for the web sites to just do some real-time editing!

Community Veteran

@nozzer The IPSO deals only with the Press AFAIK. I don't know how the web sites are monitored but I assume there will be a similar body.