Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Mail channels the hate again!

RichAllen
Grafter

Daily Mail channels the hate again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti..._campaign=1490
Blackburn school extends half term (but recovers the lost days at a different time) to allow Pakistani families to travel to Pakistan when the weather is more conducive to visiting.
Probably a good thing in the short term but in the long run I think this is probably divisive and will lead to further segregation in schools. This school locally will become known as the Pk friendly school and people of Pakistani origin will try and get their kids in there while parents from other backgrounds will get get fewer places there. A two week half term will probably become a three week half term - attendees at this school will have their holidays at different times to other schools in the locality meaning they will mix less with other school kids and mix almost exclusively with their families and kids from the same school (who at present are 85% of Pk origin). The kids will become more and more socially isolated from the rest of society. A case of good intentions leading to further division in my opinion.
Good or bad - any thoughts?
Stole this from the Sheffield Forum.
16 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Daily Mail channels the hate again!

Broken link.
Also whats the deal with the DM bashing?  If you don't like the paper, then don't read it, simple!
Regards the story, it is valid and very much news worthy.
If any ethnic group in the country start claiming special privelleges like this, then it will lead to more and more hate, and eventually race riots.
When a person visits somebody elses home, they remove their shoes when asked, as it is polite to respect the wishes of the home owner.
The same goes with immigration.
If you migrate to another country, you abide by their rules and way of life.
You don't seek to undermine and change the establishment.
If you don't like the way of life of said country, then you don't move there at all.
It is these peoples CHOICE to move here.
They don't deserve ANY special treatment, they should be treated EXACTLY THE SAME as the rest of the country.
What this school has done is disgraceful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We seem to get a lot of comments about the DM on these forums but the DM has one simple task and that's to sell newspapers or get your attention through their website.
The best way to do this is by putting out stories that are controversial, does it work ? of course it does. To comment on these stories you have to read them so it would seem some people on the forum whilst being critical of the DM actually read it ! 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533095/School-85-pupils-Asian-gives-children-two-week-Octob...
I don't see it channelling hate as it is perfectly factual and, given the school has 85% of the pupils don't speak English as a first language is worth a trial as stated in the article
Community Veteran

Schools are allowed to adjust their term time so long as they fulfill the required number of days in the year. It makes sense to allow a longer half-term break if a lot of children would be away anyway. It prevents the problem of children having to play catch-up with the rest of the class when they return.
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533095/School-85-pupils-Asian-gives-children-two-week-October-half-term-visit-Pakistan-families.html
I don't see it channelling hate as it is perfectly factual and, given the school has 85% of the pupils don't speak English as a first language is worth a trial as stated in the article

I'd go along with the 'perfectly factual' bit but you do get the idea that the Mail really doesn't like the idea of it. Not 'hate' exactly but I'd suggest its stance is more Devonian than Oldjim if you get my drift
Fixes: 47

I see all national newspapers as there to stay in business by maintaining and increasing readership by whatever methods even though it means dipping below a moral or legal baseline occasionally.
I'm not a fan of the national press.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: randpwar
Not 'hate' exactly but I'd suggest its stance is more Devonian than Oldjim if you get my drift

So what stance is that?
Because my view is we are ALL as equal as each other.
Making special arrangements for foreigners who are making more of an effort to be disruptive than to fit in with society, then rewarding them for doing so is not equality.
If I take my child away during term time I could be fined.
Foreigners take the children away during term time, so the school shifts the terms time table.
Yea, so equal!
Community Veteran

We don't know that they are foreigners, they could be British citizens Wink
Some schools allow children to be taken out of school and others don't. It is a local decision.
Devonian
Grafter

But the rules should be the same for everybody.
Actual real British kids (I know I know thats not ver PC) have been banned from going on term time holidays now, and the parents can be fined.
This is a nation wide rule.
We all know why families used to go away in May or September... because the weather is nicer and the holidays cheaper.
Instead of swapping the terms, the Education Minister put a ban on taking kids on their jollies.
Until the foreigner/British Citizen (same thing Wink ) started doing it.
The school then instantly bent over backwards to help these poor and hard done by people feel more at hiome, by changing the terms to suit them.
So what if genuine British families have been in the same situation for decades!
This kind of behaviour breeds resentment, and is a direct cause of segregation in society.
Community Veteran

You really should check your facts.  I can tell you that in Essex and Hertfordshire children can be taken out of school during term time with the school's permission. If it happens every year the school eventually says No.
Devonian
Grafter

Yes that's my point.
As a one off the school MAY allow you to take your child out of school.
But this school is making the change permanently to suit these people.
My facts are fine thanks.
Community Veteran

I see nothing wrong with their change - and it is to be reviewed.  Maybe other schools will like the idea and follow their lead.
Fixes: 47

Schools in Sheffield have attendance targets and in order to achieve those unauthorised absences are fined.
Permissions for term time holidays will not be granted.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I see all national newspapers as there to stay in business ... I'm not a fan of the national press.

Plus ça change ...
Diary of Samuel Pepys, 9 January 1660: I found Muddiman [Editor of the Parliamentary Intelligencer] a good scholar - an arch rogue - and one that, though he writes newsbooks for the Parliament, yet he did declare that he did it only to get money; and did talk very basely of many of them.
Depressing thread.
Gabe