cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daewoo cars and ABS

community
Grafter

Daewoo cars and ABS

This topic is not necessarily only applied to Daewoo cars (now Chevrolet).
Twice recently, actually even today in the heavy snow, I have applied the brakes when moving downhill with a result that the car has juddered to a halt only slowly.. and probably came to a halt only after 5 to 10 yards. Had there been a vehicle in front of me then we would have collided.
Anti brakelock devices are OK , I imagine, if you are on a motorway and if you are a heavy vehicle.
But when fitted to a private vehicle, my 2 experiences have been quite scary, as described.
Has anyone else had similar happen to them?
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Daewoo cars and ABS

One can assume that in your circumstance if the ABS hadn't kicked in you would be sliding all over the place, taken longer to stop and possibly crash?
Will Moderate For Thanks
community
Grafter

No, your assumption is incorrect.
In each case, I was doing no more than10 miles per hour because of the driving snow.
Actually in the first case probably only 5mph.
Fixes: 102

I'm not sure speed has anything to do with it, if your car is on a low friction surface the momentum of the vehicle would be enough to carry it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

ABS can actually INCREASE stopping distances on surfaces such as snow.
Here's a typical explanation
You should allow for a longer stopping distance with ABS than for conventional brakes when driving on gravel, slush, and snow. This is because the rotating tire will stay on top of this low traction road surface covering, and effectively "float" on this boundary layer.
A non ABS braked vehicle can lock its tires and create a snow plow effect in front of the tires which helps slow the vehicle. These locked tires can often find more traction below this boundary layer.

Have a google for abs & snow
itsme
Grafter

Must drivers who drive on snow wish there is an off button for the ABS.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

That's me  Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and its even better if the wheels on one side are on the slippery stuff and the other side good, I.e wet road - puddle, dry.
Also you have to push the peddle fairly hard to get the anti lock to cut in, on dry road hard pressure, on some you feel the peddle pulsating as the device works
barky
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
I just use the gears to slow down in such conditions -- down a few gears (or back 1 or 2 clicks in automatic)
community
Grafter

Quote from: itsme

That is very true that there should be an 'off' button for ABS as an option when driving on certain road surfaces.
Is that possible? where are the manufacurers when you need them?  Angry
Just warning that the stopping distance could be longer on certain road surfaces is not good enough.
I believe that the ABS was originally only intended for articulated lorries to avoid the skews.
Fitting them to PV's was unwise.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I believe that the ABS was originally only intended for articulated lorries to avoid the skews.
Fitting them to PV's was unwise.

Not true.  - one of my work functions was to test vehicle brakes and it was a long time before they had anti lock  The good old US of A didnt even have brakes on the front wheels, what was evolved was a lock on the artic turntable.
the earliest anti lock was the Dunlop Maxerate on aircraft before WW2  full story here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system including driving on snow, cadence braking and switching off
Modern ABS
Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a true computerized three-channel all-wheel antilock brake system called "Sure Brake" on the 1971 Imperial.[5] It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable. General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel (only) ABS as an option on their Rear-wheel drive Cadillac models in 1971.[6][7]
In 1975, Robert Bosch took over a European company called Teldix (contraction of Telefunken and Bendix) and all patents registered by this joint-venture and used this acquisition to build the base of the ABS system introduced on the market some years later. The German firms, Bosch and Mercedes-Benz, had been co-developing anti-lock braking technology since the early 1970s, and introduced the first completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS system in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 1978.[citation needed] The Honda NSX was the first mass produced automobile with the modern 4-channel ABS system sold in the United States and Japan, it applies individual brake pressure to each of the four wheels. ABS is offered, or comes standard, on most road vehicles produced today and is the foundation for ESC systems, which are also rapidly increasing in popularity.[8]