Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dabs - a BT company.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Dabs - a BT company.

http://www.dabs.com/article.aspx?articleid=446
In April 2006, David sold the Dabs Group and with effect from 28/04/06, dabs.com became a wholly owned subsidiary of British Telecommunications plc (BT).
This change of ownership marks an exciting new phase in Dabs' history which we hope you'll agree will help us further improve our service to customers.
dabs.com has won many high profile awards for both online retailing and general business performance including the "What Laptop!", "PC Pro" and "Computeractive" magazine awards for "Best Online Retailer".

Where have I seen these types of sentiments before?  Cheesy

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Dabs - a BT company.

Interesting side effect of that purchase was that the BT shop got the full range of Dabs products but had a phone number you could actually speak to someone on
Lurker
Grafter

Hmm - I wonder if you have recently received a Dabs Business catalogue?
The most recent trumpets the imminent re-branding of Dabs something else BTified.
I binned the catalogue, since they aren't on my preferred supplier list, so I can't tell you exactly what the name is, but I'm sure somebody will know!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nothing on the e-mail recently
Lurker
Grafter

Wouldn't that be a personal Dabs mail though, rather than a business one?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes Smiley
Fixes: 47

I'll have a browse through my snail-mail box at work.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

Chances are, you'll have already binned it - I dunno why I flicked through it TBH, but there was page or two of info towards the back on the upcoming rebranding as a BT Service.
I think the idea is to combine all the business services BT offers under one brand (insofar as selling to customers)
It spoke of the fact that a lot of what they were selling would actually be carried out by the Openreach/Wholesale/Dabs4Work/etc, but appearance-wise, it would become a fully BT Branded service.
Existing usernames/passwords/account history etc would all be carried across.
Community Veteran

I'm pretty sure I followed a link recently provided by BT which led to a BT site that was clearly dabs "rebranded".
So my guess is that it will be the same underlying products and systems but with different retail brands visible.
I used to work for a large business in a similar market some years ago and they had multiple brands for multiple target markets, and even separate sales teams, but under the skin it was one system and one business. I believe it's still much the same now, though the systems will definitely have been replaced by now.  Wink
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Will PN be BT'fied in a similar style?  Cheesy

Community Veteran

There is one fundamental difference - Dabs had a much worse reputation than BTshop at the point where BT bought them with Plusnet it is the reverse
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

So PN has further to fall?

Community Veteran

Actually Plusnet has improved dramatically from just before BT bought them to the present day
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With the now massive contracts, I would agree up until the last product refresh.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

But Plusnet only took a nose dive shortly before BT where snooping around so that they could look nice and profitable and would make the shareholders a nice bit of money.
I agree that Plusnet have improved a lot since that nice dive until this last product refresh.
Phil