cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVLA refund...

Fixes: 125

DVLA refund...

It appears I am due a refund from the DVLA regarding my tax disc Roll eyes
Coincidentally I paid for the next year's vehicle tax last week setting up a Direct Debit. The spam email was sent to a different address to that used for the DVLA.
The last paragraph is a dead give-away as well as being addressed to Dear Customer.
If you refuses to complete your application within two weeks of receiving this email will cause the lose the specified amount and you will take full responsabilty for that. We sincerely apologise for any inconviniences this might have caused you. Thank you for your co-operation. (c) Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Swansea SA6 7JL

The link goes to a .fr domain.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: DVLA refund...

yeah... don`t think that is genuine  Grin Grin Grin
When I bought my new skoda...t here was still some tax left on it... and as it was the "change over" from the previous tax disc system.. i kept the old disc, and sent it off... the refund came automatically,... the new car was taxed until FEB this year... so the refund paid for this years tax, AND>.... I got £3.50 change ! ! ! ... so quids in ...  Cheesy
Fixes: 47

I taxed my car online this week.
Just waiting for the disc to arrive in the post now.
Wait for it....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Very best job written in purfec Enlglaise wood convict everyone
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PowerLee
Rising Star

I taxed a car yesterday online.
6 months tax paid by debit card is £79.75.
If you go the new direct debit every 6 months route the DVLA offer the 6 months tax for £76.13  Lips are sealed
12 months one of payment & a yearly direct debit where the same price at £145.
You could pay monthly direct debit but that costs £152.25 for a whole year.
Remember its the budget next week, even my vehicle tax reminder has a disclaimer waning about the budget statement on.
One of my neighbours has just sold a car that still had some tax left to run, he said it took less then 2 weeks to get the refund through the post  Cool
Community Veteran

Someone will soon wheel out another con. Smiley
Fixes: 125

I was disappointed at the extra expense when taking the monthly Direct Debit option but as I already pay the insurance upfront something had to give Sad
I had thought of paying with one credit card then using the 0% interest balance transfer option to one of the others but, after including the the transfer fee, I would only be saving £2. Then I'd have to remember to make an extra payment each money to cover it so decided the DD option was probably the best at the moment.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've always renewed my vehicle tax online but only ever get the option of renewing for a full 12 months...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What I want to know is why I have to pay for 6 months tax, then claim a refund, for a half hour drive to a dealer to p/x a car on the first of the month.
Next March 1st I will likely do the switchover at 09:00 like last time back in 2013 but at midnight 29th Feb my tax expires.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
I taxed a car yesterday online.
6 months tax paid by debit card is £79.75.
If you go the new direct debit every 6 months route the DVLA offer the 6 months tax for £76.13  Lips are sealed
12 months one of payment & a yearly direct debit where the same price at £145.
You could pay monthly direct debit but that costs £152.25 for a whole year.
Remember its the budget next week, even my vehicle tax reminder has a disclaimer waning about the budget statement on.
One of my neighbours has just sold a car that still had some tax left to run, he said it took less then 2 weeks to get the refund through the post  Cool

OUCH !....  Shocked THAT HURTS....... Shocked
Sorry for the full quote... and the capitals.... but... my tax is only £20.00   per year...... I could have paid in instalments by direct debit... but, because I had the refund,  ....... ( as mentioned above  Roll eyes decided I would rather be in profit ..  Cheesy )
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kremmen
What I want to know is why I have to pay for 6 months tax, then claim a refund, for a half hour drive to a dealer to p/x a car on the first of the month.

Isn't it possible to book a (pretend) MOT test?
itsme
Grafter

Or drop the trade in on the last day of the month and take the new car on an overnight  test drive using trade plates
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Or drop the trade in on the last day of the month and take the new car on an overnight  test drive using trade plates

Against the rules for trade plate usage.
No dealer in there right mind is going to risk that idea by letting a set of trade plates out of there possession.
itsme
Grafter

What are the purpose of trade plates? If not to demonstrate and deliver cars.
The problem is a dealer will only have a few trade plates not enough to cover all sales.
Community Veteran

The purpose of trade plates, is in respect of insurance..... they are a " movable feast " type of comprehensive insurance, whereby the dealer can use the plates on various vehicles, yet still only have one premium. It also covers the "tax" side, in the same manner..
As previously mentioned... no dealer is going to let "joe public" have his plates overnight...