cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD intro's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

DVD intro's

I'm known to quite like the occasional animated movie (inc.Tom and Jerry, Loony Toons etc as well)  if I can't get our grandkids to ask to see them I will watch them myself. I'm especially fond of the older full length Walt Disney cartoons as they become available on DVD.
The latest offering we have here is Wall E, but why Oh why do we have to sit through nearly 15 minutes of adverts (trailers) for other films, much of which has FF and skip buttons disabled, forcing the making of a cuppa tea. Walt Disney/Pixmar productions seem to be the worst in this respect but, are by no means the only one.
If we have to have this stuff, why can't we have it after the main feature instead?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: DVD intro's

If it were left till after the main film finished..... you would watch it once, (perhaps) then next time eject it  Roll eyes, and make the tea early.... !
as it is at the moment. you can make the tea before you settle down, and enjoy the film and the tea at the same time......  Cheesy
so stop complaining, and make the tea !!!. Cheesy
Community Veteran

rip it to hd and get rid of the garbage.
Community Veteran

Doesnt the Ice cream lady come around when you get to that point  so you can get some snacks? If not then the wife want re training book her in for a service
Community Veteran

That's really funny, thanks for the advice guy's but I thought I would get some stick about liking cartoons...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes, even more annoying when you realise they can (and do) intentionally disable the usage of any buttons to skip it.
Almost as good as the region coding, what a brilliant feature of DVD's.
No, not a captive audience at all Roll eyes
Even if you're lucky enough not to have trailers you can't skip, how long do they want to make the copyright warnings now?
I've not gotten any new DVD's for some time, but having recently got a PS3 and one Blu-Ray film .. I noticed that was pretty bad (as in both the unskippable adverts and the film).
Glad I got it cheap Smiley
Javert
Grafter

Petlew:
Using my copy of “Wall-E” – after choosing the language, it then has a page headed “Warning” (telling what fates will befall you if you make a copy, etc), it then goes into the ads – the first picture is a close-up of the face of Capt. Jack Sparrow – press the DVD Menu button now.  This then takes you into the sequence leading into the “Wall-E” menu.  I think you’ll find that this applies to all the Disney films (it does to all mine, anyway!).  Grin
John
Community Veteran

The previews seem to get longer as well.  Sometimes there is a good movie advertised but not often.  Also as the DVD becomes dated the previews are irrelevant as they are no longer available.
Community Veteran

Ah! thank you Javert, I'll give it a try later on.

Community Veteran

You could copy it to your computer, then copy it back to a VHS tape, then edit the tape by removing the first 200 feet, (which should include the bits you don`t want to watch, again again again) then copy that back to a dvd disc.... with luck , you should have enough room on the dvd disc, to put two films, after editing in the above manner........... Roll eyes
Problem is...... when do you make the tea? Grin
Community Veteran

@shutter
I do, as I couldn't cope with all that "technology"

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: shutter
You could copy it to your computer, then copy it back to a VHS tape, then edit the tape by removing the first 200 feet, (which should include the bits you don`t want to watch, again again again) then copy that back to a dvd disc.... with luck , you should have enough room on the dvd disc, to put two films, after editing in the above manner........... Roll eyes
Problem is...... when do you make the tea? Grin

Or...
You can copy the DVD to your PC (regardless of region or whether it's NTSC/PAL), delete the adverts and threats about copying and burn it back to a custom DVD.
Avoids loss of quality due to VHS copying.

Community Veteran

HELP!!

Community Veteran

Can you make tea, during that short amount of time?  Roll eyes
I suggested the "long version", to give time for tea making, (and re-training of the ice cream/popcorn girl, as appropriate) Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you tried it shutter, unless you have a Cray, you will have time to make your Tea