cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD/HDD editing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

DVD/HDD editing

I have been recording the brilliant BBC2  "Wonders of the Solar System" on to HDD. Because I'm not around to do an accurate manual start I've been using the timer with PDC and an extra 10 minutes added, since BBC in particular can often be a little off with their timings.
When the series is finished, the plan is to dub the whole series onto DVD (double layer disc!) my question is, does anybody know if it is possible to edit out the end of the previous programme and the excess after the WotSS has finished? to make a seamless set.
I suspect an unedited DVD disc could be edited in a PC using something like Nero, but of course the disc wouldn't play in the PC unless it had been finalised in the DVD recorder first, which would of course stop the disc being edited. If you see what I mean...
Anybody know a way round this? or am I stuck with all the bits I don't want.
The HDD/DVD recorder is Sony, as is although its not marked as such the OEM fit DVD drive in the PC.
I can't find any help in the DVD/HDD manual.
PS. I do wish the producers of Wonders of the Solar System had reduced the volume level of the background music, I find it very distracting, spoiling the programme a bit for me.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: DVD/HDD editing

morning petlew. You could try googling fopr frr video software there are loads or use the webuser site to get free software  tried and tested or try windows movie maker or power dvd if u have it
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
The HDD/DVD recorder is Sony ...

I have a Sony RDR-HXD870, and it can do exactly what you want ... but what model number do you have?
Lets assume you have a similar machine to mine, select 'Title List' then scroll up/down to select the program you wish to edit, then press the 'right button', this will give you a 'Modify/Edit' option, select that option, now select 'A<>B Edit', at this point you are now given the option to edit out parts of the program as you wish. However, I would practice doing this on a different program you do not care about, as it can take a little bit of getting use to.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Thank you gentlemen. My Sony model is RDR-HX525/HX575. I think the only difference between the two is the size of the hard disc (80Gb or 120Gb, mines the 80Gb I think, I've never even got remotely close to filling it)
It would seem to have a slightly different approach to that you describe godsell4: having selected the title required the menu that appears has the option "A-B erase" with a very easy to follow graphics screen to work from. I just didn't realise that's what it was further, I wondered why it wasn't covered in the manual. It seems it is, but with some of the most obscure Anglo/Japanese translations I've ever seen.
But thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

PS. I do wish the producers of Wonders of the Solar System had reduced the volume level of the background music, I find it very distracting, spoiling the programme a bit for me.

Me too - they seem to do this to all the science programs.

Community Veteran

Yeah!! And I can't think why. Unless its an attempt to cover up poor narrative with distraction. But poor narrative is not usually a feature of BBC documentaries,
Although I do find that Professor Brian Cox can lean a little to gentle over-enthusiasm, at times treating his audience like a junior school class. On the other hand he certainly gets his message over.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Was he the guy who did the programme on the sun?
It was terrible - talk about dumbing down!!!
...Brian explains how its greatest power, gravity, reaches out for hundreds of billions of kilometres, where the lightest gravitational touch encircles our solar system in a mysterious cloud of comets...

(Comets aren't mysterious). Lips are sealed
Any schoolkid could have told him that!

Community Veteran

When the series is finished, the plan is to dub the whole series onto DVD (double layer disc!)

Is that each episode will be stored on a DL disc or the whole series on a DL disc?
In SP mode, you can get 4 hours onto a DL disc, or 2 hours onto a single layer disc. I am hoping you will not be saving this in anything lower quality than SP mode, even if you do not have an HD screen now, you probably soon will, and recording programs like this in lower than SP quality will annoy you when you watch it on a modern screen.
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran

Humm! I expect to be on at least 2 or 3 DL discs for the whole series. I've not looked into it and don't know how many parts there are in the series, but would guess at least 8, depending what is covered or if it includes the Asteroid belt, conceivably Venus and Mercury could be covered in one episode as Mercury is so close to the Sun comparatively few details are known about it apart from rotation speed and a few surface features. But we'll see. However, Wonders of the Solar System implies other things than just the planets.

Community Veteran

there are 5 episodes according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qyxfb
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran

... also annoying is the BBC have stopped get_iplayer working at the moment, was going to download the 3Mb HD stream of this series and archive them that way, but now I am going to have to archive them the same way you are. Though the DVD box set is going to be £13 pounds, so could be less than £10 on eBay by the end of the year and I expect those will be DL discs so the quality will be good.
--
3Mb FTTC
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: godsell4
... also annoying is the BBC have stopped get_iplayer working at the moment, was going to download the 3Mb HD stream of this series and archive them that way, but now I am going to have to archive them the same way you are.

get_iplayer is still working - but the --update parameter is not (at the request of the BBC, it is no longer publicly available - even though their own site lacks functionality).
So if you already have get_iplayer you can get it download modest quality flash (832 x 46Cool which gets converted to mp4.
I still have get_iplayer.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy