cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD Boxed sets

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

DVD Boxed sets

Looking at the price of some DVD Boxed sets that have appeared on TV I am surprised that people don't just copy them direct to disk rather than buy them, ok I know the arguments about copyright but some people have libraries of VHS Tapes and little objection was raised about that.
Just to be clear I am talking about  making one copy for personal use, if the price of some boxed sets were more reasonable then more people might purchase them. 
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: DVD Boxed sets

What annoys me is that they'll sell you a box set of the films/series and then bring out another episode.
A current example would be the Jurassic Park trilogy. JP4 is now in the pipeline so all those people who thought they have got the entire set will be fleeced of more cash.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

'aint life a bitch Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have never understood the necessity to PAY for a boxed set of any tv program, or film, if you have already seen it (them).... Even with the appalling content on ALL broadcasting media (sky, freeview, BBC & ITV etc)... eventually the progs and films will appear on the T.V. just a question of waiting long enough  Cheesy
My missus has loads of films on DVD and even some VHS tapes (we don`t have tape player now),.... but she has never got one out to watch .... they just fill up shelf space, like books in a library...!
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
just copy them direct to disk rather than buy them

For me that is one of the great benefits of broadband. Being able to download some old TV series (that I would never buy), then burn it to DVD-Rw and watch it.
How long will that continue though?
With the push of more pay per view internet film sites and the demise already of a big file storing site (Megaupload) probably not all that long.
And as shutter has already said there are so many channels now it's only a matter of time before the show you're waiting for appears.

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
My missus has loads of films on DVD and even some VHS tapes (we don`t have tape player now),.... but she has never got one out to watch .... they just fill up shelf space, like books in a library...!

Ditto. My OH collected a fair number of DVDs and never pulls any out to watch. Makes you wonder really what the point was doesn't it. Thing is though years ago you'd collect VHS tapes and actually watch them every now and again. I think there has been some sort of cultural shift.
wacky17
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
What annoys me is that they'll sell you a box set of the films/series and then bring out another episode.
A current example would be the Jurassic Park trilogy. JP4 is now in the pipeline so all those people who thought they have got the entire set will be fleeced of more cash.

Another example would be the the star wars box set, the first one is the original and the other is the extended version. Angry
Community Veteran

Rather than paying Sky, we tend to buy boxsets off eBay, watch them over a few weeks or so, maybe a few months sometimes, and then sell them again on eBay, sometimes this may cost £3 to £5 overall. Works out cheaper than Sky ever will.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Fixes: 125

Quote from: wacky17

Another example would be the the star wars box set, the first one is the original and the other is the extended version. Angry

I'm sure a lot of people buy every box set of a series for completeness.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 125

Quote from: godsell4
Rather than paying Sky, we tend to buy boxsets off eBay, watch them over a few weeks or so, maybe a few months sometimes, and then sell them again on eBay, sometimes this may cost £3 to £5 overall. Works out cheaper than Sky ever will.

SWMBO and me frequently discuss Sky but as we have Freeview/Freesat/NetFlix and a multitude of other ways of watching content it just doesn't seem viable. I must admit I would like to have their HD box but you need a basic subscription (around £20) plus £10 for the box. Now if only they would offer the HD Channel package on its own for, say, £12 + a small one off payment for the box (say £25) I would take it up.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

One thing I will say is that I've noticed we re-watch DVDs less since having freeview. We used to watch DVDs we'd already seen on a fairly regular basis but now there are all these other channels you're always looking for something new that you've not see before to watch.
It's only after reading the comments in this thread that I realised what we've been doing!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

The only box sets I would buy are your nature/wildlife documentaries with David Attenborough as the Narrator.
Community Veteran

Hasn't this always been much worse in America where it was usual practice to bring out mid series box sets.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What annoys me about boxed sets is that quite large chunks of the original programmes are left out, Especially if they started life on the BBC, Only Fools and Horses being a case in point.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
I have never understood the necessity to PAY for a boxed set of any tv program

Boxed sets from the Library only cost £1 for 2 weeks, ordered online and delivered by the mobile library, as shutter says, why clutter up shelves.