cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRM strikes again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

DRM strikes again

If you have PURCHASED movies from Sky via Acetrax, then you are about to be shafted (again)
See here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/22/acetrax_closure_drm_woes/)
Zurich-based Acetrax will cease to offer any new content on 21 June. After that, owners of Windows PCs can download their films. Mac users can forget it, as can anyone hoping to re-download HD films. Even on Windows, it’s standard definition only from that point.

Movies that users have previously downloaded will cease to play from that date

Anybody wonder why I think DRM is the spawn of the devil?
13 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: DRM strikes again

You could always transcode your files and remove the DRM.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Which is illegal in this country  Crazy
It the old story, we bought them on VHS then DVD then digital, do we own them now NO!.
Razer
Grafter

As if that stops anyone. For 'anyone' read 'millions' and maybe 'billions'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Never downloaded any movies, seems pointless as you can rent most of them from the Local Library or from a variety of other sources.
Copying/removing DRM is illegal but this will only force more people down this road and increase the number of those people who sell these things on Market stalls here and abroad.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

You can't transcode the files and remove the DRM, not easily anyway. That's the whole point of DRM.
Community Veteran

I'm sure nobody on this forum would be trying to do anything like that.
Only someone who was very Sly and a little Soft would be doing anything like that. Wink
Community Veteran

I wondered why Sly and Soft had been capitalised in your post until I tried Googling them!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I didn't think many people bothered to attack the DRM on WMV files, mostly because there tends to be better quality sources for the videos like DVDs.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
You can't transcode the files and remove the DRM, not easily anyway. That's the whole point of DRM.

I can't imagine it being any more difficult than the ripping and encoding (effectively transcoding) of DVDs, Blu-rays and CDs that have 'copy protection' once you find the solution that suits you. Such things can only become awkward if you want to start editing the video and/or audio.
Community Veteran

Just because it's easy peasy to rip DVDs doesn't mean every single DRM system has been utterly broken. Besides the fact that hardly anyone cares about WMV files, Microsoft also updated the DRM software to block some of the tools that have been released in the past.
Razer
Grafter

WMV is but one of many codecs which, as you mention, hardly anyone cares about. What MS may have done with their particular form of DRM out of the many is no doubt an ongoing effort, just like all other forms of 'copy protection' by all other programmers of such measures, that are continually broken, patched, broken, patched, and so on. So MS has blocked some tools. People who want to use their media the way they want to don't stick to single solutions and when something becomes problematic, they move on to another solution - solutions which are always popping up.
Besides that, if people really want the media in a simple way, without getting into the complexities of DRM removal software, then they just might use a simple capture application like FRAPS to record the video & audio as it plays and encode that exactly as they want, with whatever codec and wrapper they want and without any DRM. It wouldn't be my ideal choice if I bothered with streaming media, but my point is I can already see the simplest solution to the most complex efforts of MS and the like with DRM.
Community Veteran

Yes, but all the software solutions, if/when they worked, or re-encoding the display, require you to be able to play the file. If you find you can't play the file due to the DRM not or no longer allowing you to, you can't just remove the DRM.
Razer
Grafter

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I was rather thinking in terms of doing the things I mentioned once bought and paid for, then any changes later wouldn't matter because you have your 'open' copy, as it were.