Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPRC: what's that?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

DPRC: what's that?

Well, it's the Disabled Persons Railcard issueable to folk with disabilities including any one who uses a hearing aid. (I think ear trumpets may be excludedGrin) The degree of loss doesn't matter, nor income. Cost for a year is £20 and includes a companion traveller.

I have posted in case any of us are unaware of it.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
24 REPLIES 24
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: DPRC: what's that?

That's good information and something I was not aware of. Not sure it's worth it for myself as the nearest rail station is over thirty miles away but still, a day return to Paddington for two would give us quite a saving. 

Handy to know though.  

Would they knock off another third from an already reduced advanced booking ticket I wonder Roll_eyes

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Minivanman They would - thats how I get from Sheffield to Brighton for about £44.00 return.Smiley

(Over 60's card in my case)

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Even better, at this rate they will be giving me money to travel! 

Let's see over 60 discount, plus DPRC, plus advance booking discount... yep, I'm quids in before I even go anywhere. Thumbs_Up 

jab1
Seasoned Hero

I wish Wink - but I doubt it. Mind you, £44 rater than about £185 is quite a saving.Grin

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Crikey, that is good.

Oner of my daughters might be moving over towards Bristol next year so this sort of thing will be really handy if that happens plus I note there is a bus discount.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Even better, at this rate they will be giving me money to travel! 

Let's see over 60 discount, plus DPRC, plus advance booking discount... yep, I'm quids in before I even go anywhere. Thumbs_Up 

Have you tried using https://www.trainsplit.com/ (or their phone app) for reduced tickets? You can get further reductions on the prices offered by using your discount railcards.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Thanks @RobPN, noted. Smiley

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Before I retired in 2016 my annual season ticket was over £8k, travelling in peak hours. I was over 65, no matter where I looked there was no discount available even though I was only working a 3 day week.... when the last Season ticket expired I changed my hours to 12 midday to 7pm. Buying an off peak return daily ticket and using a senior railcard the total cost was less than £3k yearly. If I take the train with my Wife we use a “two together” railcard.

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Luzern wrote:the Disabled Persons Railcard issueable to folk with disabilities including any one who uses a hearing aid. (I think ear trumpets may be excludedGrin)

I got one a few months ago. Smiley The person travelling with you also gets the same discount (no photo on the card either) and if you have Tesco clubcard, you can use the points to buy the One year version. Cost me nothing. Would have been nice if clubcard points could be used to buy the 3 yr version as well but as Tesco's would say; Every little helps!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet  Yep, they certainly hammer you with season tickets. Fortunately, I never needed one, but knew people who did.

John
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@idonno I have paid a total of £140 for the two 3 year cards I've had, but probably saved four times that with the trips I've made over the last 16 months.

John
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 I made the mistake of applying for the 2together rail card just before finding out about the DPRC. Did enquire if I could get a refund but too late. The DPRC is cheaper out of the two, even though the discount applied seem to be the same amount.

We've certainly saved a good £200 plus over the past year using a railcard. Best saving was going down to Kings X. Seem to recall about £60 return for two, First class (cost about £5 more over standard) - included meal etc on both legs. I, being piggish, had the fry up on the way down! Grin And the coffee was good too!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Yes, @idonno the savings you can make on rail travel if you know what to look for are great. Luckily, a very good freind of mine used to work for BR, so I get plenty of useful advice from him.Smiley

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@jab1 wrote:

@Minivanman They would - thats how I get from Sheffield to Brighton for about £44.00 return.Smiley

(Over 60's card in my case)

Sheffield to Brighton...... Pah !....

Wigan to North Korea.... via London, Berlin, Moscow, Warsaw, & Beijing.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7062527/Now-book-train-ticket-WIGAN-NORTH-KOR...

not sure if the card will work on that one though !! !   !   !... Cheesy