Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

DIY

Long Post…..

Read no further if you have something better to do…

Ever decided to do a bit of diy which you thought would be straight forward but turned out to be anything but.

So small strip light including socket has been in since the house was built 30 years ago, I put up a small bathroom mirror and  glass shelf…

Due to the lockdown I have been doing things I would not normally bother with but had the bright idea of removing the above and replacing it with a mirror cabinet that also included a light and shaving socket.

The new cabinet fits on a bar which has a small lip and the cabinet slots down on, so simple job really measure up put the bar in place using screws and rawlplugs no problem, except….

On removing the strip light the builders or electricians who installed the light were not content with making a small hole for the wiring to come through they had made a hole in the plasterboard nearly the length of the light itself and the bar that would be holding the cabinet would need to go straight across that hole so nothing to fix it too.

So the obvious answer would be to go higher or lower except neither option was available, much higher I would be standing on tiptoes to see the mirror and lower is not a option either as said bathroom is half tiled so the mirror would be sitting at a angle to the wall.

Managed to do the job but would be interested to hear from anyone as to how they would tackle this job, other than putting all the old stuff back in place and returning the item.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: DIY

Depends on whether the area around is all tiled or not. Would the cabinet hide any screws put through to secure some wood placed internally so you can get a fixing into that wood? I'm assuming the wall is hollow i.e. plasterboard with studs. One thing I have used recently on a plasterboard wall that I was having problems with is some Grip It plasterboard fixings. Certainly did the biz.

But plaster fills up big holes or if you go on Youtube there are some videos that show how to fill up big holes in plasterboard.From 7.20 might help 😀.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

@gleneagles 

I would not consider hanging a cupboard on a bar only fifed to plasterboard.

I have recently had this problem with a cupboard in our Utility room. My answer was to get a length of thin steel bar from our local DIY shop and fix this between the studding supporting the plasterboard. I fixed the hanging straps to the steel bar.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

OK... If I understand it properly..... after removing the old striplight. .... there is a large slit-like hole in the plasterboard, in the same location as where you need to fit the "hanging bar" for the new cupboard.

I would have had a fit.... same as you !.. however, my way of resolving the situation would be

cut a square or oblong shape of 3 ply, large enough to cover the back of the cabinet.... and paint that up to the same colour as the cupboard, or the wall.  Fix the hanging bar to the 3ply sheet... then fix the 3ply sheet to the wall with at least 4 fixing points ( each corner, or if not suitable, in the middle of each side).  then hang the cabinet off that.

Alternatively, if the hanging bar makes the cabinet "stick out" . you could dispose of that method and drill the back of the cabinet with (again) at least 4 fixing points. and screw directly to the wall, (or you could use the 3ply method without the hanging bar) ...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Sort of go with @shutter on a solution and maybe even making the sheet slight larger so that it forms some sort of surround for the light?

Sounds like you might have it done by now but if not post a picture up maybe.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran

Yes a real head scratcher, even crossed my mind to use expanding foam in the hole as the stuff can be cut or drilled but quickly dismissed that idea.

Wish I had thought of @Baldrick1 idea as that would have been much simpler and easier than what I did.

Fortunately the cabinet is quite wide and I managed to secure an additional piece of wood between 2 spars using metal angle supports to keep it in place, by cutting a small section of the wood I was able to fix it so enough was fitting flush to the remaining plaster board….the hole is now much bigger of course.

So bar was screwed to the wood and fortunately the cabinet fits over the hole and various old screw fittings.

Really fiddly job that took ages but pleased with how it looks.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

Ever decided to do a bit of diy which you thought would be straight forward but turned out to be anything but..

Oh yes, frequently. As a consequence i now have umpteen things in various states of disrepair. It's bloody annoying at at times, soul destroying.

I now have very limited enthusiasm for anything that involves physical effort as i know damn well it'll almost certainly be a flop. Frankly i'm surprised i can even put batteries in a torch these days.. i've certainly screwed up recharging one.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@7up 

Well over the years I have made a few (censored) in my time, usually due to not thinking the problem through, rushing the job or not having the right tools and accessories to hand and taking shortcuts, pity the internet was not about in my day which allows you to research ways of doing most jobs along with the pitfalls.

If you do get a job right it gives you a great deal of satisfaction and confidence to do other stuff, on the other hand if you make a bodge of it there is the danger of a self fulfilling prophecy that if you got that wrong then anything you do in future will also be wrong…..bit like learning to ride a bike, falling off once and saying I am not doing that again, success comes from failure and learning from the mistakes you make….the important point is….

Never give up on what you want to achieve no matter what the cost.!

😀