DIEsel fumes are ObNOXious

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

DIEsel fumes are ObNOXious

Literally.

NOX

DIEsel

Doctors Against Diesel claim 9,400 Londoners a year die prematurely from breathing in toxic fumes from diesel engines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38274792

121 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: DIEsel fumes are ObNOXious

It`s not my fault...... I live in Portsmouth... so don`t blame me for 9,400 londoners dying.. Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Meanwhile, petrol engines with turbos produce just as much NOx as a diesel, so, pot, kettle, black... Crazy

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

And fire appliances & most ambulances are diesel - who's going to pay to replace those - if they can?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's just a current Fad where predetermined prejudice is supported by studies of selected studies based on SWAG estimates of mortality. In fact it is all OpenReach's fault. If they'd installed FTTP throughout the country no one need to travel from their homes to get to work and the amount of motor mileage be decimated.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Just a excuse to increase tax on Diesel Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Infinity wrote:

Literally.

9,400 Londoners a year die prematurely from breathing in toxic fumes from diesel engines.

You know... they must have spent hour after hour, studying in Med School to come up with that...

surely ,,, even an untrained person, like myself would know that... if you breathe in noxious fumes, you are likely to die    

Prematurely   !

Even hybrid cars use noxious materials,... so anyone hit by a hybrid car, is also likely to die ...... prematurely...

especially, if the diesel ambulance can`t get them to hospital quick enough...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@AlaricAdair

If it's a fad and indeed it may be, it's a bit of a worry that a number of Doctors are supporting it and to my knowledge no Doctors are claiming the information is incorrect.

As mentioned earlier the government will see it more as a money making scheme than any concerns they have for peoples health, indeed the more people they can get shut of before retirement age the better as this will reduce the pension bill.

I suspect it has been known for years about the effects on health due to petrol & diesel fumes, I recall a few years ago a tv program that looked at the large cluster of health problems people living near and in some cases almost under spagetti junction in Birmingham.

Community Veteran

I just dispute the trite figure of 9400 people dying prematurely annually.

• Do they have a list of names?
  • Do death certificates say this person died prematurely?
  • Have they predictions of what age the person would have lived to if it hadn't been for the fumes?
  • Did these people live next to a busy street or a quiet suburban street?

These so called experts are just guessing based on anecdotal information.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Not really AA.

They have access to data from a parallel universe where atmospheric pollutants do not exist and these people live much longer.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

All fossil fuels are noxious, and that's the long and short of it.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

There's even noxious gases emitted by humans, such as bog-breath and of course the "downward draughts", guess humans will be banned from central london too next... Funny

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke But not until, some doctors have done a survey, and produced the results, so it can be mentioned on the BBC news site.... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Just watched the BBC news from Oxford Street about this and they made two statements

This is the worst polluted place in London and the vast majority of the traffic are buses and black cabs

As far as I am aware neither of which have modern NOx reduction systems

Community Veteran

A lot of buses these days are rated to some Euro-number standard, but black cabs, particularly older ones, are concerned, yeah, they're not exactly clean machines, but it's okay, they're not technically "cars", they're public transport so immune from the "let's just blame cars for the pollution" attack... Smiley