Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D.N.R.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

D.N.R.

We've probably all seen or heard of these three letters on American TV programmes.
Now it looks as if it may be coming to the U.K.
With an unknown Nurse asking the Question...
Sometimes over the Phone !!
So will an elderly relative feel pressured, even from within themselves, to accept such a choice...
Or in fact anyone who feels they are a burden on their Family ?
The DM highlights this...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2729332/Do-want-let-die-Question-nurses-home-visits-told-ask...
Of course, how you feel one day, may not be how you feel another day.
With some illnesses, there are good days, and there are bad days, when you may be extra vulnerable.
15 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: D.N.R.

ive been asked before each surgery if I had any special wishes about DNR when I was attending hospital on many occasions and I'm certainly not old, it does make sense to ask everyone each time they visit or get visited what there choice is the question takes a few seconds to be asked and answered but if you respond yes it can potentially save time and effort on the part of the NHS allowing them to concentrate care efforts on others who don't wish such measures be taken.
nothing new though the first time I was asked about LCP and DNR was 10 years ago
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Despite being a miserable s*d I'd prefer to live but i must confess i did make a living will for my last operation stating that if it went wrong with consequences that would vegitate me / screw me over I'd prefer them to turn me off and be done with it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Now it looks as if it may be coming to the U.K.

DM up to date as usual! My father was asked that in 1982.
Of course, how you feel one day, may not be how you feel another day.

This is only asked when the medics know that there is a significant risk of a procedure, or the patient is suffering from a severe, usually terminal, illness.
nadger
Rising Star

Question didn't arise when I had radical cancer surgery in June 2009 and aorta repair {EVAR} in Feb 2010 albeit 74 at the time.
Fixes: 125

I don't see it as a question that should be asked. Life is precious and a doctor's remit is, surely, to save life where possible.
If, on the other hand, someone volunteers such information/wishes about non-resuscitation then that is a different matter.
What scares me is that we seem to be moving closer to a society where life's values are diminishing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

I agree Mav, & reminds me of an age old quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
What scares me is that we seem to be moving closer to a society where life's values are diminishing.

Yes I've noticed that too. I don't like the way this country is going at the moment. We've had thousands of families labelled as 'problem' families, Scotland wants to break away (and thats caused civil war in the past) and we seem to have the rich versus the poor again just like centuries ago.
It's not looking good really is it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I don't see it as a question that should be asked. Life is precious and a doctor's remit is, surely, to save life where possible.
If, on the other hand, someone volunteers such information/wishes about non-resuscitation then that is a different matter.

Just because the question is asked doesn't mean that you must say yes. My Dad had cancer of the oesophagus which was so widespread that it was causing him much suffering and was inoperable and treatment was causing him more suffering. His will to live had disappeared.
Most people who aren't in that state would want resuscitating. It's not compulsory to be "put down"!
TORPC
Grafter

You make it sound like we are animals with a phrase like "put down"
In a way we are as we are mammals,
However that phrase could scare people more than using the correct term of euthanasia Wink
Community Veteran

I used that phrase, and put it in inverted commas, precisely because to ignore someone's wishes in this respect would be murder. So as far as I am concerned there is nothing to worry about.
TORPC
Grafter

Haven't all medical staff got to take an oath to save lives, or is that just in the movies etc
Community Veteran

Precisely!
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Haven't all medical staff got to take an oath to save lives, or is that just in the movies etc

Not anymore - they just have guidelines to follow and ethical decisions to make.
TORPC
Grafter

I know some religions sadly, force the DNR decision, however
What happens if the surgeon / medical staff / person on the street, due to the emergency factor is not privy to the DNR instruction actually resuscitates the patient, can that surgeon / medical staff be prosecuted ?Huh