cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Déjà view

Community Veteran

Déjà view

Over 60% of TV programmes over Christmas will be repeats. This seems a very high level of repeats over the festive period. Are people watching less TV than they used to?
TV repeats
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Déjà view

I watch a lot of TV.. well i don't watch it but it's turned on behind me for background noise.
I think a lot of the problem is how the TV stations measure the audience viewing - 5000 sample households that have viewing / monitoring equipment fitted and relay the viewing data down the phone line. Seems a bit of a low sampling for a nation of what.. 65 million people don't you think?
How on earth could they ever accurately guestimate how many people are watching anything based on just 5000 TV sets activity? - Then you have the genders, ages, rich / poor etc who all like different types of TV... so no doubt in reality there's probably about 1000 people per group.. which when representing millions of other people is peanuts. The system may have worked well when we had just four channels but now we have in excess of 40 stations on freeview alone, it's clearly not capable of providing accurate statistics.
And that.. is where they've gone wrong. How can they choose what sort of shows to broadcast with such old methods? they can't. Thats why we're seeing so many repeats.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Depends on what the repeats are I suppose, there is only so much Morecombe and Wise I can take!! So many other light entertainment can be found on Sky channels anyway nearly all year round.
On the other hand, repeats of Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, X Factor and others like it fill me with horror, so perhaps what they do repeat is preferable.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Having seen what is on offer on BBC1/2, ITV & C4 over the Xmas period, I'm glad I'm away. OK, still in the UK, but with friends who like me only switch on the TV when there is something which we actually want to watch - in this case, absolutely NOTHING.
This has been the situation for the last 5 or 6 years, so it is nothing new for this year. Crazy
John
Community Veteran

I'm also away in Spain over Christmas and although we have UK TV I don't watch much of it. It's always a good time to catch up with some DVDs if needed.
Guess there will be some people avidly marking up the Radio Times though Wink
Fixes: 125

Many channels, these days, seem to treat Christmas as just another day.
There'll be the usual doom and gloom on EastEnders (with hats, decorations and snow), snow in Weatherfield and a host of dire comedies, chat shows and other tat.
I miss the days of eagerly anticipating Only Fools and Horses. This year I am looking forward to the Christmas Not Going Out Special.
I used to buy the Radio Times each year but haven't bothered for a while. With Android App, TVGuide.co.uk and other sources it now seems a bit pointless. Does Barry Norman still do the film reviews?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have no TV so its all on demand for me, but radio is another matter.  BBC has recently taken a scalpel to the live shows and most now at night are repeats.  So now when I can't sleep there is no Ken Bruce at silly o clock to listen to, but a repeat of the previous Saturdays Sounds of the 80's.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
I'm also away in Spain over Christmas

Postcard this time eh?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

I'd prefer a bottle of rioja thanks Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

no hay posibilidad!!
Community Veteran

I guess then we'll have to settle for a post telling us how warm the weather is where you are.
Community Veteran

Hopefully it will be Cool Cool