cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyclists

MightyMouse
Grafter

Cyclists

Whilst I am sure that the vast majority of cyclists are very responsible people I have noticed that more and more seem to think that  traffic lights on red do not apply to them, risking there own as well as other peoples lives .
1/ Can they  be fined for this ?Huh
2/  If a cyclist went through a red light and was knocked  down and killed, apart from the motorist having it on his/her conscience  for the rest of his/her  life , would he/she  be liable ??
27 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Cyclists

1) Yes - in theory - although since he hasn't got a number plate the bozo behind the CCTV wouldn't know where to send the fine to.
2) Probably not - unless you saw him but made no attempt to avoid squashing him because you think you have "right of way".

Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: MightyMouse
1/ Can they  be fined for this ?Huh

Yes. The problem is catching them  No number plates. Fools the cameras. Can you see a real live copper chasing down the road after a bike?
2/  If a cyclist went through a red light and was knocked  down and killed, apart from the motorist having it on his conscience  for the rest of his life , would he be liable ??

Yes. IIRC there was a recent prosecution. The headlines were 'Speeding motorist on mobile kills cyclist'. I think she got a custodial sentence for dangerous driving. Only later was it mentioned that the cyclist had gone through a red light & that if he hadn't, there would have been no question of him being injured. A traffic light on green only says you may proceed with caution. It doesn't give you any rights.
Community Veteran

In theory they could be fined for running a red light and if they got killed it would be a close call to see if you got away with it. It may be ok if there were witness.
what is worse in our town is the bike on the pavement none of them use the road they belt down the pavement and are silent killers as you dont hear them until they nearly knock you over. They really are the pits they dont care about old people or mothers with babies and why they go on the pavement I cant see.
With all these things the Police dont enforce it they just ignore it 99% of the time like parking on pavements we are having a terrible time trying to get the Police to do something about pavement parking see
http://www.crewetown.co.uk/campaign.htm
They just dont want to know even though a child nearly got run over because he had to go onto the road.
Its sad but we live in an age were people only think of themselves and dont give a monkies about others
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

If a car hits a cyclist then they have a high risk of death. (Of the cyclist).
If a cyclist hits a pedestrian then both parties will most likely escape with minor injuries.

MightyMouse
Grafter

And.............. There's more and more of them think there's no need for lights after dark.

P.s sorry  Samuria, have just seen that this was already mentioned on your campaign site.
Community Veteran

One problem the police have is that the laws are not as tight for bikes  as they are for motorised vehicles (and if I remember my definition correctly that includes all modes of ground transport powered by a motor with are capability of carrying a person).
Personally I think cyclists won the battle when local authorities took ordinary pavements are officially approved them for mixed used (urban) and when mountain bikes became popular (rural).
owlguard
Grafter

As for being prosecuted,if you remember only a week or two ago,david cameron,leader of the tories,was seen more than once going through red lights and going up one way streets,the wrong way.The police knew who he was and just said i believe,we may speak to him and educate him,its wrong to do these things.I will tell you what ordinary people as we may be called would get,educated with about a £250 fine for around 3 offences he commited,thats if we were lucky.
                                                              regards ray. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When the Police take the "we will speak to them, and educate them,"action..... I wonder how many petty criminals, which include cyclists that deliberately flout the law, have really taken any notice of the "education"..... probably been very contrite, whilst being "educated" then go away and say "up yours" and carry on where they left off.... Proper police education should be with a baseball bat across the shins....    Cry  Cry  that will stop them riding like maniacs, and terrorising the pedestrians, for a few weeks. ! ! ! Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

It not just the pedestrians they terrorise - I have found myself behind a cyclist at lights who suddenly decided to change which direction he was going in and frightening me in to thinking I am going to run him down!  Luckily, he had the grace to stop and pull over to kerb where no doubt he was safer to consider his next action.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
If a car hits a cyclist then they have a high risk of death. (Of the cyclist).
If a cyclist hits a pedestrian then both parties will most likely escape with minor injuries.

Said by someone that have not been hit by a cyclist going at 15mph.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've not been directly hit by one, but one hit the side of me whilst I was crossing a road once.
Hurt a bit but nothing major. Can't say I would like the experience of a full-on collision Roll eyes
I'm not sure if local councils have the authority to fine cyclists .. I would assume they either don't or have and not subcontracted it out to a private company yet.
Still, I guess that would involve more effort than just going through a CCTV tape and sending fines through the post. Why bother doing that when there are plenty of motorists to make money from?
nadger
Rising Star

When I used to drive a lot in Central London I was surprised at how many cycle couriers were still alive as they broke just about every possible traffic regulation.
Javert
Grafter

You want to try crossing a main road (or any road, really) in Amsterdam!  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah!..... it`s murder during the rush hour  Grin Cheesy Grin
see pic below, courtesy of http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com