cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyclists and Footpaths

Fixes: 47

Cyclists and Footpaths

A week ago I was out for a walk on a public footpath when a cyclist shot past me from behind.
I didn't hear the cyclist until he was less than 6' behind me and it startled me.
If I had turned right at that moment there would have been a collision and injuries.
The same thing happened tonight.
I'm quite aware of the advice to motorists..."Think Bike" but wasn't aware of it being extended to pedestrians Roll eyes
I noticed this in the Highway Code:
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

I was beginning to think I was in the wrong for not fitting a rear view mirror to my glasses Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Cyclists and Footpaths

Around here, there are several "curly wurly" country roads.... A route numbers, that the bikers just love to use as racing/proving grounds.... on most of them there are big yellow notices, which say "Think Bike"...  I automatically convert that to English....." Think PRAT "  usually followed by another sign with a picture of a biker at 45degs to the road, and the text  " A corner to die for".... and I then say...." See ... told you...."
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You must not cycle on the pavement... which is odd because around here thats where they keep putting the cycle paths  Crazy
In the 80s people used to have bells on their bikes to warn people when they were approaching. These days that seems to be long forgotten and almost worthy of ridicule if you use one.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The good weather has brought out many more cyclists to the roads. Many of them do not follow the rules of the road. I think all cyclists should have to be insured and their bikes should have some method of identification.

There are paths around here where half of the path is painted red for cyclists, the other half is for pedestrians.
There is no separation between the two so it's up to each to respect the other's area and it usually works.
Steve
Pro

@Strat/7up we have them same paths up here I don't like them most of the paint has faded on all of them. Keep bikes off pavements completely I reckon. Use the road.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
The good weather has brought out many more cyclists to the roads. Many of them do not follow the rules of the road. I think all cyclists should have to be insured and their bikes should have some method of identification.

Once upon a time I would have strongly disagreed with you just because you have some draconian views however this time I do find myself agreeing with you.
Cyclists causing problems on the road seems to be an increasing issue. Many jump red lights not realising that they are there to apply to all traffic using that lane, many of them don't understand hand signals and just do whatever thinking they can blame the motorist etc.
I'm not against the cyclist, I used to be one myself and while usually being a responsible one I've also done stupid things too however cyclists are these days increasingly doing more and more idiotic things and then thinking they can blame the motorist if they get into trouble. Like you say artmo, no insurance means if they cause damage to your car you've either got to get them to pay up somehow (if you can get their details) or accept that you're going to have to loose the money yourself.
I do of course exclude the young from these views - IE young kids on pavements I have no problems with however when they hit 15 / 16 they should be forced to take a test of some sort and then put on the road - many carry on using the pavement as adults which frankly seems a bit daft.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We have a couple of schools close to where I live,....and one of them has weekly classes for the kids doing cycle training, on the roads.... Which I think is a great idea... there are usually three groups of about 10 in each group, and two supervisors/teachers to each group, all wearing hi viz yellow jackets, .... I always sound my horn from a distance, to let them know I am approaching, especially when coming from behind the group... and the supervisors/teachers always acknowledge me, for doing that...  I have not noticed it in any other part of the area around here, so I think it must be just this one school that does it.... which is a shame for the other kids, as they don`t get proper training, or appreciation of traffic.

It would have been much appreciated if those cyclists coming up behind me had given me some sonic indication of their approach.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you think it's bad here, try walking on the footpath / sidewalk in San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge, or Chicago, by Lake Michigan !
http://midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_recreation/bicycling/bicycling_Chicago_Lakefront_Tra...
http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php
The very aggressive solo cyclists think they have a God given right to cycle fast, silently, apart from shouting at you in both places !
"Get outta the way"
Community Veteran

In some EU countries they do have to have number plates on their bicycles. I don't think they pay tax or insurance but it does mean the bike can be traced.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Good timimg for this thread. Only last week I forced an idiot who was belting down a footpath towards Tesco's main door to swerve into a load of parked trolleys.
If I hadn't the woman in front of me on crutches could have been severly injured as I was probably shielding her from view.
Realising that I was probably twice his size and weight he accepted his error.
Let's be careful out there !
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The main problem we have in this area is club time trial training rides. They ride in groups of 6-8 and won't drop back to allow vehicles to pass and our country roads aren't the widest in parts and very bendy.

Edit for spilling!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I live on a quite steep hill, and one evening last week I had just joined the top end of it (going down hill) when from between two parked cars appeared a full Lycra clad cyclist riding what I assume to be a fully loaded top-of-range mountain bike (is that what they're called now?) It was apparently my fault (judging by his glare) that the collision didn't occur as I just saw him in time and braked hard.
He then proceeded to take up a position in the middle of the lane and hold just under 30mph down the twisty hill, I made a couple of attempts to pass him but he pulled dangerously into my path, so I decided to wait as my right turn off the hill wasn't that far away, but just before this either fatigue or common sense (he hadn't displayed much of the latter so I suppose it was the former) he decided to pull to a stop on the left leaving the road clear..
I made my right turn and was just reversing into my car port when the cyclist pulled up a "safe" distance away (safe as in out of arms reach) and began to hysterically give me a dressing down for tail-gating him (which of course cyclists never do....do they) he then suggested a piece of advice about giving right of way to cyclists, I wandered over to him (he edged away maintaining the gap) and very politely said that I had if he would like a copy of it the entire incident on dashcam. His initial reaction was silence, then followed a tirade of potty-mouth and he cycled off into the distance, pulling into the path of another car going down the hill as he turned right without looking, he didn't fall off (just) but looked back long enough to see my broad grin.
Needless to say he didn't take me up on the offer of a video clip.
I realise it hasn't much to do with footpaths, but it gave me a chance to relate the incident. The tread is called Cyclists AND footpaths after all.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

You're excused Smiley