cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyclists Killed on London Roads

Community Veteran

Cyclists Killed on London Roads

5 cyclists have died on London's roads in a nine day period.  Something has to be done about this but what?  Initially I would make all cyclists wear hi-viz jackets and they must obey the rules of the road which many don't at present.
Longer term all cyclists should have to take a proficiency test and have insurance.
Cyclists killed
109 REPLIES
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Re: Cyclists Killed on London Roads

Not ride breast to breast like they do around here! Not run pedestrians off the road!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cycle licensing plates and the provision to ban dangerous cyclists would be a good start.  Bikes in the UK did have number plates at one time.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

The problem has been exacerbated by the lack of Police on our roads.  When cyclists are seen to break the law they should be charged just as a motorist would be.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Not all cyclists jump red lights, drift in and out of bus lanes, go the wrong way down one way roads, cut in front of cueing vehicles, never use brakes, never use lights, have to check their Facebook rather than check the road conditions, never inidcate their intentions, never look, never listen, never be courteous or, think lycra makes them an indesructable superhero... nope, not all cyclists are like that, but they still get killed by idiots driving vehicles who, if they were riding bikes, would be an equal risk to themselves and everyone else. Good cyclists are always aware of all the idiots on the road; that's in vehicles and on other bikes!
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

To be honest I wouldn't even consider riding a bike in the London traffic [or any other city for that matter] - vehicles and cyclists sharing the same bit of space is not conducive. Cyclist should have there own space - but it can't happen because there is no spare room in cities to put in cycle paths. I don't see there is an solution.
Thunderclap - all good vehicle drivers are aware of cyclists but it doesn't mean there won't be accidents unfortunately.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But sadly Thunderclap many do do exactly as you point out, and continue to do so very largely because there is no deterrent (except sudden death) for it.
Indeed there are bad drivers. But there are I suspect far more cyclists who have no conception of how much room a large (long) vehicle needs to make a junction turn or how much monitoring of all mirrors it means to make such a turn or that with the best will in the world the driver of such a vehicle cannot see in every direction at once, but still cyclists persist in undertaking left turning buses and HGV's when a manoeuvre is being carried out, and then have the gall to blame the driver
If cyclists (some) took a bit more responsibility; watching where they are going, abiding by the rules of the road, actually looking to see indicators on long vehicles (all these days must have side repeaters) and probably above all took off their headphones and concentrated on getting to wherever they're going safely rather than the loud inane babble of their favourite DJ they might just arrive alive.
I realise this doesn't apply to all cyclists, but a lot cycle with a dangerously cavalier attitude.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

On the radio yesterday a HVG driver phoned in and said that in some large vehicles they can't see down the side of their vehicle and cyclists put themselves in danger by cycling between the vehicle and the kerb.
Community Veteran

A couple of thoughts on various posts above:
1. Any evidence that those killed were the "bad" cyclists? And is death a suitable punishment?
2. If truck drivers can't see they should get better mirrors and use them. They know they share roads with cyclists.
itsme
Grafter

Obviously you have not seen a news item a few months/year ago where a policeman pointed out some blind spots lorries have. Yes adding more mirrors may solve it but but could be adding danger to other road users. 
Thunderclap
Grafter

btw I forgot to add smoking cannabis whilst cycling to my bad cyclist types - for real.
Good cyclists and good drivers don't make for dangerous situations. Sadly, it's not possible to do the thinking for everyone else for all of the time. As for vehicle drivers, the road would be a lot safer without these demographs [discuss]

• Eastern European lorry drivers

• Feckless teenagers

• Africans

• White van men

• SUV soccer mums

• Pensioners

• Jeremy Clarkson

Angry Angry of Tumbridgewells
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Obviously you have not seen a news item a few months/year ago where a policeman pointed out some blind spots lorries have. Yes adding more mirrors may solve it but but could be adding danger to other road users. 

This is a major problem particularly with some of the very large vehicles on our roads now.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I did a lot of riding from a young age and the only time I ever came close to getting knocked off is maybe when I was being silly or short minded with my surroundings. With all these cycle lanes, I swear people think they are invincible. They just keep riding, paying no mind to anybody but themselves. I say this because I came very close to hitting one two days ago in fact. The lad put his hand out and swung right across the road in front of me from the cycle lane, very close I can tell you. Yes I agree the roads maybe were a little safer ten years ago, but I think these cycle lanes are in fact a recipe for disaster. People think just because they are in a lane of their own that they are safe from harm. It's just not true.
What are the stats since these cycle lanes have been put in anyway? Anybody have any idea?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I understand TfL have so far declined to publish them.
Boris was asked on Radio recently, but did a masterpiece of avoiding the question.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

So far this year 13 cyclists have died on London's roads.  In 2012 14 cyclists died on London's roads out of 122 killed nationally.