Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting grass when it's wet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cutting grass when it's wet.

Is this the done thing?

I’m asking as a neighbour has just been out and done theirs even though the grass was sodden with dew. I can't see the logic to it as obviously the mower will clog but are there other reasons why it should or shouldn't be done?

20 REPLIES 20
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Cutting grass when it's wet.

Petrol driven the mower will cut anything.

Electric I tend to start very high and then go round a couple of times lowering the height each time. But just rained? Not a hope. Probably end up burning the motor out. Yes, they do come with overheat trips but doesn't stop the windings getting very warm and end up smelling. And once you're there, I think it shortens its life.  The grass box needs empting quite frequently too although some just take that off and leave the grass on the ground.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

We only have enough grass to warrant a strimmer, but cutting when wet or even damp makes no sense to me.

Never early morning, never on a Sunday (consideration, nothing more) and only when dry. Sure I have all the time in the world these days but even when working, getting splattered with squelched grass at weekends was not my idea of fun... but then neither was washing the car.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had a snoop at the neighbours lawn and it looks like the grass as been torn out rather than cut, I'm guessing either the mower blade is more than just blunt or the wet contributed to it, if the truth be told it's a mess.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Around here in the past it has been known for the council contractors to cut the grass verges when there is snow on the ground!!!Crazy3Crazy3

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Councils cut grass when it is wet because they have a schedule to stick to and don't care what it looks like as long as it is cut, another box ticked...

https://www.nixa-lawn-service.com/mowing-grass-when-wet-do-or-dont/

these say if you walk on the lawn and you get water on your shoes do not cut the grass,  I always wait until the grass has dried out completely before cutting as otherwise it seems to tear rather than cut and the mower gets clogged and instead of cuttings ending up in the collection container they get stuck inside the mower and the chute gets blocked and the cuttings end up being thrown back onto the lawn.

Strat
Fixes: 506

I have a north / south facing house with grass on the back in full sunlight, with the front grass in shade.

I have cut it before with the rear grass dry and the front grass wet and found, much to my surprise, the wet grass cut better than the dry with my petrol mower.

The wet grass stayed in the box until emptying unlike the dry grass which blew about.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Anonymous
Not applicable

So based on that then I guess maybe the best time to cut the lawns is when the grass is moist but not wet enough to dampen your hands?

Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

How about helping your customers, instead of cutting grass

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Menace65 No PN staff have replied to this thread.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I blame wet grass on Brexit.

Well somebody around here had to. Wink

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

I usually blame wet grass on rain/snow, @Minivanman  - but I kind of see what you mean.Smiley

John
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry I'm just frustrated in trying to pay my bill.

Brexit Now

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Menace65 

Do what I do, just put them all into a big hat and pick one out at random at the end of the month. Failing that and if your name is Scunthorpe, you could just ask the government to bail you out to the tune of £30m Roll_eyes

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Strat wrote:

I have a north / south facing house with grass on the back in full sunlight, with the front grass in shade.

I have cut it before with the rear grass dry and the front grass wet and found, much to my surprise, the wet grass cut better than the dry with my petrol mower.

The wet grass stayed in the box until emptying unlike the dry grass which blew about.

I guess it depends on what sort of mower you have,  a cylinder type mower that throws grass into a front collector box may deal with damp grass better than a mower with a horizontal blade that has to cut and then 'blow' the grass through a duct into a rear container, in this type wet grass more likely to stick to blade and centrifuge off into sides of blade housing and stick in the duct and block it.  The council tend to use bigger cylinder types but don't collect the grass,  they just leave it where it lies and blow any excess off footpaths and roads with a leaf blower.   IMHO the cylinder mowers are better, but more maintenance required, including annual or more frequent blade sharpening / adjustment on the one we used to have.