Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutbacks to public services

idlewis
Grafter

Cutbacks to public services

Hi there
My Name is idem, this is my first time I done this on Plus Net Forum and I have both mild anxiety and aspergers syndrome  and I wondering what is your feedback on cuts in vital public services due to Labour's mismanagement of the economy, The City where I live, Glasgow City Council  are shutting down Day centre's for disabled people, trying to get into paid and non paid work and possibly reducing support staff in there own homes plus I heard this morning colleges are facing financial pressures as well and only concentrating only on mainstream students.  So what are the most vulnerable people in our society are going to do during the day.  Just sit isolated in there own homes and left to suffer as peopele facing the benefits trap for people who want to do paid work?
What are your views on this important subject?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Cutbacks to public services

Welcome to the forums Idem.  Am I wrong in saying that in Scotland health matters are the responsibility of the Scottish Parliament? 
idlewis
Grafter

Yes it is the responsibility of the Scottish Parliament.
Community Veteran

Yes and the SNP Scottish Government have not been able to honour all their election pledges - in NHS and other departments.
There was a report on radio - that said that England was ahead of Scotland and Wales in matters of health - but some are saying this is based on out of date information.
I discussed this very subject with some people  today and we had all lived and worked throughout UK and we felt that the Scottish NHS is well up to the same standard as in England and in some areas better. We are lucky that we have at least three very good teaching hospitals attached to Universities of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee.
But yes in this difficult economic climate - caused not just by UK but worldwide forces - it is not easy for the decision makers,
And I am old enough to remember when we has a Conservative government - and the then Scottish Secretary / Scottish office cuts similar services in public services.
So we have now had Conservative / Labour / Labour Lib Dem / and now SNP - and I don't think any can be said to have been a golden age.