cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customs Duty & VAT

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Customs Duty & VAT

I am contemplating purchasing an MP4 player from a company in the USA... I have checked the HM customs website, and it appears that if the item is below £18.00 value  (inc p&p) then no customs or vat is liable .  (Item bought over internet from a commercial enterprise)
If the item is purchased in the USA and is then posted on from a private individual to another private individual then the value before customs increases to  £40.
I am just wondering if any PlusNet persons have purchased items from the USA and what their experience has been regarding customs and vat,  (delay in delivery?) etc
The item I am contemplating is about £40. plus another £20 for p&p .... so I am looking for information/experiences with items of similar value please...
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Customs Duty & VAT

Fixes: 47

I recently purchase items to a total value of around £90 shipped in by DHL.
DHL delivered the goods to my door and collected the VAT and import duty at the same time.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat is right on this.  You'll be lucky to get away with the duty.  At one time there was a good chance small value items would be waived through.
Community Veteran

So what was the amount you had to pay DHL. for your £90 purchase then, Strat?
I`m not trying to "evade" the duty.... just wondered how much I am likely to get stung on it.!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I realise its very low value stuff; but I've had a number of DVD/CD's ordered and delivered from the States and never had to pay any excesses. They're usually delivered via the normal post. However I only usually order them singly; would this change in the unlikely event I ordered a higher value batch I wonder.
Or as an aside, would UK authorities start the look into my having the means to play US region1 discs (or indeed any other region discs for that matter)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Petlew...... you may be interested to read this page.... it mentions "multiple" purchases.... (apparently .... if they are  internally wrapped and addressed to several individual members of the same family... the rate is different to multiple all wrapped up for one person..
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pa...