cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer-facing Failover

geewizz
Grafter

Customer-facing Failover

(With reference to the service announcements in today's thread on these forums.)
Just what in the name of all that's interbred is "customer-facing" and "failover"?

I'm sure it's very helpful for IT people to have their jargon to communicate internally but when they want to have intercourse with the rest of us, why don't they watch their language?
Would they know what the heck I was talking about if I phoned them up and referred to things with words I had made up? You can swathle your humbering wastie they wouldn't!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Customer-facing Failover

ha!  i see you're hathering into your weeble again. Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

From the second announcement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failover
Failover is the capability to switch over automatically to a redundant or standby computer server, system, or network upon the failure or abnormal termination of the previously active server, system, or network. Failover happens without human intervention and generally without warning, unlike switchover.
Systems designers usually provide failover capability in servers, systems or networks requiring continuous availability and a high degree of reliability.
The automation is done using a "Heartbeat" cable that is connected to the two servers. As long as there is a "Pulse or heartbeat" from the main server to the second server, the second server will not initiate its systems. There may also be a third "Spare parts" server that has running spare components for "hot" switching to prevent down time.
The second server will immediately take over the work of the first as soon as it detects an alteration in the "heartbeat" of the first machine. Some systems have the ability to page or send a message to a pre-assigned technician or center.
In some systems failover is intentionally not entirely automatic, requiring human intervention. This is called "automated with manual approval", as the activity is automatic once approval is given.
Failback, conversely, is the process of restoring a system/component/service in a state of failover back to its original state (before failure).
Customer facing is that bit of the network which faces or is seen by the customer - i.e. what the customer "us" see.
Community Veteran

I remember once asking to speak to a director of C&W.  I was told I couldn't because she was not 'customer facing'.  The funny thing was that her job was customer service director Shocked
You can imagine the woman turning her back every time a customer approached Wink
geewizz
Grafter

Artificer, I can't help it. It's the old bahookie-baubles playing up again. Sad
Artmo, that one takes the biscuit! Grin Had she been a customer service director in a brothel, I could see the logic.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you must have been watching New Tricks on BBC 1 at 21:00 last night
geewizz
Grafter

A hefty jump of logic there, Pierre, soiled only by the fact I was at home last night and I don't have a tv.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

When I was a GPO apprentice (giving my age away!), and fault reception was handled by local engineering staff, I heard one of them saying to a subscriber - "I'm sorry it's taking so long, Sir, but it's dis U/G".
Subscriber "I don't care if it's dis in the ******* deep blue sea, I want it fixed!"
Of course he should have said "...there is a disconnection in your line in an underground cable".
Not young enough to know everything
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: geewizz
A hefty jump of logic there, Pierre, soiled only by the fact I was at home last night and I don't have a tv.

not if you saw the program, it was about a disgruntled Housewife, who was getting blackmailed with photo's and drove her husband posh Gineta into a brick wall at speed.
The person who took the Photos was a Male rugby prostitute never saw his face in the photos only his posterior
Heloman
Grafter

Have to agree about the "customer-facing". Ugh!. To be fair though, Bob doesn't normally use such ugly "business-speak".
As the service status posts are entirely "customer-facing" , all it needed was "problem resolved"...................
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
it was about a disgruntled Housewife, who was getting blackmailed with photo's and drove her husband posh Gineta into a brick wall at speed.
The person who took the Photos was a Male rugby prostitute never saw his face in the photos only his posterior

Nice, glad I missed that one!