I needed to cancel a phone line (mother in law has moved to a care home). The line was BT, the call contract was a very old TalkTalk one for which I was the account holder.
Rang BT - five minute discussion (UK call centre?) with most recent bill and court of protection paperwork in hand to provide security details. No problem phone line cancelled.
Rang TalkTalk to cancel call contract. 5 minute wait, 10 minutes discussion with Indian call centre - apparently the account details I was providing (by reading from the My Account screen!) were incorrect. I needed to log on to My Account and correct them. Wouldn't say what was wrong. Suggested I fix the incorrect details and ring back.
Investigation suggested that there was no phone password set up (this contract goes back to 2003) everything else was fine. Set up password and rang back. After 15-20 minutes on hold I gave up.
Rang back this morning, five minute queue - same Indian call centre. Thanks for ringing but we can't do anything as we are having systems problems. Please ring back in a few hours.
By then I had received an E-mail from TalkTalk confirming that I was leaving - presumably triggered by BT's cease on the line.
Guess who I will not be investigating next time my phone & contract come up for renewal!!