cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Retention

shaunfriend
Dabbler

Customer Retention

Have to say I am really disappointed following my experience this afternoon of attempting to renew.

Noticed that my price had risen in the last two months and figured out it was because my previous 18 month deal had expired. No contact from Plusnet, just a sneaky continuation of the contract with me paying more without really paying attention (my fault)

Called today to see what they could do and the answer was "not a lot" I didn't need some of the TV packs I currently have and I should have perhaps waited until he end to remove them as they got used as part of the new deal.

Ends up like this, if I want to continue to keep my fiber, phone and TV with Plusnet, it's going to cost me £1.49 more than a new subscriber - not an incentive to keep existing customers - especially ones that have mobile and have made multiple successful recommendations to friends and family (only one pays me a reduction)

So unless someone from Plusnet spots this and wants to discuss, I'll be moving onwards, which is a shame as the service, speed and products have been excellent - but I won't be taken for a ride and expect my custom to be rewarded.

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Customer Retention

I share your annoyance with not getting the same deal as a new customer when you come to renew but this type of thing is fairly common amongst most ISP's and certain other companies.

If your loss is £ 1.49 a month and you are getting good service from PN can you be certain that another cheaper provider can offer you the same good service ?

There is a point for most customers where they are only prepared to pay so much, for me that would be in the £ 3 region per month but I accept a extra £ 18 a year is a lot to some customers.

shaunfriend
Dabbler

Personally this isn't about the cost. I'm prepared to pay for good service. I'm not prepared to be treated differently to other customers - especially ones with less loyalty.

I re-signed 18 months ago and was treated as a loyal customer. The agent I spoke to today neither wanted to impress or retain my business.

Being told to sign up with another provider isn't really what I wanted to be told.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

If a customer rep actually told you to sign up with another company he should be subject to additional training.

I assume phone calls are recorded ( for training purposes)

shaunfriend
Dabbler

It was as part of the "I want my MAC code" conversation so it will of course be recorded. ho hum!

Kimberlin
Rising Star

Shaunfriend, your situation is exactly why I don't personally involve myself in 'loyalty' as far as my custom is concerned. I happily switch at the end of each contract because I've never been offered the same deal as a brand new customer. If I'm in any way 'disloyal' by not sticking with one particular ISP, then it's definitely not something I need to apologise for. For me, it's all about the best deal I can get at renewal time and the last three switches have all involved lower costs to me and significant amounts of cashback or money loaded cash cards. ISP's are businesses, they offer cheap deals for newbies to pull in the customers and some of us are happy to switch to get the incentives.

salmo
Rising Star

I always shop around for insurance, energy, breakdown cover etc. However until this year I had not changed ISP. I had been satisfied with PN and they had always made me a good retention offer. Another factor was the worry of the change going wrong. I decided to take the plunge this year as the PN  offer was nowhere near as good as for new customers and the saving with my new ISP for ADSL broadband and phone was over £130 factoring in cashback and loaded credit card (both of which were paid with no problem). 

If ISPs offer cheap deals only for new customers it encourages people to shop around.

I am getting fed up with having to swap insurance, energy, ISP etc every year but the savings this year will be about £ 450 overall. That is a holiday for me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

@shaunfriend wrote:

Personally this isn't about the cost. I'm prepared to pay for good service. I'm not prepared to be treated differently to other customers - especially ones with less loyalty.

But you're prepared to be paying less than other customers who might be paying the full price?

Shouldn't you find an ISP that just has the one set of prices that everyone always pays then, and not the one price for the first however many months and some other price thereafter?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@ejs wrote:

an ISP that just has the one set of prices that everyone always pays then, and not the one price for the first however many months and some other price thereafter?

An interesting concept..... When you find one.... let us all know.... and Plusnet will be out of business in no time,  !...Shocked

Love the idea... would be really great... ( no not PN going out of business..).. the idea that PN MIGHT actually be the first to do it ... !Grin

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

I have never (for many years anyway) renewed my contract.

Years ago broadband was considerably cheaper and (with one exception) Plusnet have never increased the price for broadband-only accounts.

shaunfriend
Dabbler

Called again earlier this evening, spoke to a different person. Explained my thoughts, got a cheaper price that reflects my loyalty.

Re-signed, all is well with the world again.

Basically, some employees are just more aligned to wanting to help the customer than others. Happy to discuss my experience with Plusnet officials should they wish.

Ive just spent the saving on a curry!