cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Screen TV

Fixes: 47

Curved Screen TV

Someone please tell me what the point is of a curved screen TV unless of course it's to enhance the viewing experience for the person seated at the focal point Huh
Is this going to catch on or is it going to be like 3D, a sideline novelty.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
13 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Curved Screen TV

Here is a link with all the details  http://www.gizmag.com/curved-tv-benefits/34689/

So the benefits are primarily for the person situated centrally.
People sitting off centre benefit from the far side of the screen as it is curved towards them.
So presumably off centre viewers will not benefit from the nearside of the screen...quite the contrary.
Steve
Pro

You probably would need a huge tv at that to see any improvements. Big tv and curved? sounds expensive Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's funny, flat-screened TVs were the future when the good old convex curved CRT was still king of the tellies, seems that curving the screen is a step backwards where those who are sat ff-set don't get the ful picture, just like the old CRTs... Grin

TV manufacturers are always on the lookout for a novelty feature to encourage sales.
I'm waiting for the 3D projected virtual image that I can walk round and through.
Community Veteran

Yup, gimmicks to sell TVs always plays into the manufacturer's hands, after all, look at the 3DTV thing, that's died a death now and people have been left with TVs that were quite pricey and now pretty much can't get broadcasted 3D TV or movies cos even the likes of $ky are dropping it in favour of 4k... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Talking of gimmicks, sites anyone remember an experiment with analogue tv, where they broadcasted 'colour'  on the old monochrome system?
I remember sitting there, all excited, and being most disappointed as the colour was more of an impression of colour, than actual colour. It never caught on obviously. In fact I don't remember it being tried beyond that one transmission. But I was only a child, and my attention waned pretty quickly. Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
TV manufacturers are always on the lookout for a novelty feature to encourage sales.
I'm waiting for the 3D projected virtual image that I can walk round and through.

why wait ?
its been around since the early 80's and the simple version featured in the star wars film actually projected a 2 minute image into the air using mirrors and a prism, apparently if  you want it to do 16 millions colours at full life scale then you will need about £250k and a room the size of the average cinema ( make that a tad over 1 million if you want the revolving version with the ability to pause and rotate the image around you and something closer to the size of the O2 arena if you want the best viewing possible)
seriously though a multi d projection system linked to some lasers and a some prisms is commercially available for less than a grand, the problem is the media converter that's about the same size as the average privy and requires a lot of juice to change the 3d image you get on the standard viewing screen into a multi dimensional one that floats over the ground (I saw one at an enthusiast event a few years ago and it was hooked into a 48kv genset running at full load)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 124

Cinema screens have been curved for super-wide and large size for years but that is to reduce the pincushion effect that would otherwise be seen due to the way the light is projected onto the screen.
This is not an issue with televisions as the light is not projected.
There is a good explanation here.
I'm still not convinced it's a not a gimmick to make up for the fact that sales of flat-screen TVs are diminishing due to market saturation.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

You might want to put that curved TV on hold . LG just unveiled the  ultrathin wallpaper TV .
http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-displays-latest-oled-tv-sticks-to-the-wall-is-under-1mm-thick/

0.97mm to be precise Wink
cajef
Grafter

I thought curved screen TV's were for people that lived in lighthouses. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Or seriously into gaming:
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.