cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currys Charge Customers £20 to stay at home

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Currys Charge Customers £20 to stay at home

So, if you buy something in Currys/PCworld/Carphone Warehouse super store in Portsmouth....  (I went there for a Freezer quoted on line as "Free Fast Delivery"...  )  you pay for the item, then get a question about your mobile phone tariff.. if it`s payg...then the guy will tell you that you can get a contract in the carphone warehouse section of the shop... told him not interested, that`s why I am on PAYG.... .. he still insisted on telling me about it, because that is what he has been told to do......   until i shut him up.

. then paying for the Freezer..we get the usual, we do an insurance scheme to cover your freezer for any problems for a year.. ( at a cost of course ).... told him that the Sale of Goods act coverst that, and told him to stop trying to sell me something I don`t need....

then  comes to the bit about delivery....  yes.. we can deliver it free...   BUT... you have to stay in all day.. and wait for them...

no times.. just waste your own time, and your life, waiting for a phone call from the deliver geezer, half an hour before they expect to arrive... so you could wait in all day and get a phone call at about 6pm...  

Yes... you can have a time slot... but that will cost you £19.99 sir... 

or... you can have it delivered on Wednesday afternoon between 1 pm and 5 pm....

BUT>. that will also cost you £19.99 sir..

so.. what have we got... a company that will try to sell you stuff you don`t need or did not want when you came into the store... and then they rip you off by holding you to ransom over the delivery...

in other words Currys are charging me £19.99 to sit in my own home for the afternoon...  

I`m going to be in, anyway,... so why do Currys rip customers off...   Because they can.... 

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Currys Charge Customers £20 to stay at home

It seems delivery has various models nowadays.

WIAD delivery - Wait In All Day

CCTD delivery - Customer Convenient Timed Delivery

ASFT delivery - At Some Future Time

DEYC delivery - Deliver Elsewhere You Collect

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

a few weeks ago i went with my neighbor to Currys to look for a new TV for him .

And yes they are a pain in the Bum trying to sell you extras Sad while we waited for it to come out from back warehouse

Their Mobile phone agents from IDnet  grabbed us , if you take one of our phones today we give a £50 off voucher your TV Crazy2

why cant you just buy what you want ?  if you want extra you can just ask ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

@shutter

I'd be saying testicles to that and go elsewhere as there is simply no reason to charge for delivery these days or for not being able to give you a time slot for at the very least an AM or PM call, and as for that insurance scam....

In the last six months I've bought a fridge and a bathroom wall heater on line from the Co-op who were cheaper than anywhere else as far as I could see with no delivery charge, am or pm time slot and they took my old fridge away!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

we do an insurance scheme to cover your freezer for any problems for a year.. ( at a cost of course )

Was the insurance company offering that called 'Knowhow' by any chance?

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

When buying most electrical items £50 or over, my credit card company gives an extra years warranty free of charge .

If they can not repair they give a free replacement, nice perk from Nationwide 

Regards

Mike

Mike
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

I stopped using Currys/PC World after unpleasant experiences in both local stores.

The first one in PC World I needed a replacement monitor. Unable to find any member of staff who were interested in my small purchase, I picked one up from a display pile on the shop floor and went to the checkout. There I was asked "where did you get this from?" After explaining the location of the pile I was left feeling that I was some form of criminal having bypassed their grossly in-efficient systems.

In Currys it is impossible to find a member of staff that is capable of dealing with a sale because it is impossible to buy anything without going through a human being.

I use a local dealer whose prices are comparable with the big retailers but who will deliver free of charge without any fuss. The will also install if required at a cost of only £20.00.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Only used Curry's twice.

First time for a freezer which we saw there, after paying by card we were then told we do not keep them in stock as they come direct from the manufacturer within 48 hours, 10 days later said freezer arrived.

Second and last time I would ever go there was for a cooker, Price £ 399. In Large letters was a sign saying £ 100 of all Samsung cookers, pointed this out to the shop assistant only to be told that it only applied to certain models, after pointing out the word all is not the same as some, the shop assistant went off to see the manager, five minutes later she was back....you can have it for £ £299.

Unfortunately even at that price it was **** packed up after 3 years.

Next cooker was from John Lewis, Came with a further 2 years guarantee, well I supose it not free and the additional cost covers it.

Recently been looking at a replacement camera and John Lewis is cheaper than amazon and that's with a extra years guarantee, not that I would buy anything like that from Amazon as despite any guarantee on goods if they are not returned within a month then you are left to take it up with the company who in some cases may be in China.

Minivanman
Hero

Well beat this.

Saw in store and ordered a futon bed from Homebase and although in no real hurry as it was for our new home over a month away, was told we'd have it in ten days minimum direct from the manufacturer. Four months later (yep, four months) we finally got the bed and on looking at it saw that is was made in South Africa and date stamped a good month after our order..... which meant the thing had not even been made, and was probably still a tree when they took our money in store! 

We smile about it now but at the time it was not funny, neither was it funny having to sleep on an old mattress placed on the floor.   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
PowerLee
Rising Star

When we needed a new tv, I found it at the same price at Currys & John Lewis.

Went & had a look at it in Currys, then went home & ordered it on line from John Lewis.

Same price, 5 year warranty & delivered to local Waitrose store for collection within 24 hours.

A few years back my mother wanted to buy a laptop in the PC World xmas sale.

I went with her, we picked out the one she wanted, then the salesman was trying to sell all the extras on top until I told him he was wasting his time, either sell us the laptop as advertised or we would walk out.

Minivanman
Hero

You have a local Waitrose?

There's posh! Wink

PowerLee
Rising Star

Its also handy for dropping my dirty work overalls of for dry cleaning - its one of the few dry cleaners in the town that takes the cleaning vouchers issued by my work.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

My daughter needed a new washing machine and was ordering from Currys. The website was offering a delivery in 48 haous and she paid by card. At the point that the card accepted they said they had no stock and delivery would be 14 days. It was impossible to cancel online and needed a phone call to cancel and demand a refund. They said a refund would take 5 days. Almost criminal behavior.

The same washing machine was ordered from our local dealer at a price £1 cheaper than Currys and it was delivered next day by 11.30 am.

Minivanman
Hero

You take work overalls to be dry cleaned?

My old mum used to chuck mine and my dads in the tub along with a big block of soap and stir them with a stick! 

I dunno Smiley

PowerLee
Rising Star

I dont really want my greasy oily overalls in the washing machine so i just use the cleaning vouchers provided

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.