Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curly Lead problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Curly Lead problem

I have a pair of earphones, that have a "curly" lead.... which seems to have got tangled up in a couple of places. 

Anyone got any suggestions ( apart from cutting the lead off, and rewiring )...   how to "untangle" those bits and get them into the correct curl again ?

14 REPLIES 14
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Curly Lead problem

@shutter 

If I've understood correctly, I remember years ago with telephone handset cables they used to tangle because the direction of the coil (helix ?) somehow flips (reverses itself) from all the pulling and releasing.  You then need to grab the cable where the reversal starts and 'twist' the coils back the right way round.

Sounds more complicated than it is, but have go and you'll probably see what I mean.  Part of the fix is deciding which parts of the cable have the original direction of curl and which have reversed.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Hanging them length down helps and if not and providing the cable is not cold, just run your hand down it.

Half the time it does not work especially with 'curlies' as the cable inside the sleeve is twisted, but it's worth a try. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Having untangled many telephone handset curlies, it's a PITA but undoing the reversed coils is relatively easy, it just takes a little patience... Smiley

And as an aside, if you have a curly cable that's lost its' springyness, just reverse the coil and most often the cable becomes springy again... Smiley

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

PS @shutter 

I assume these are headphones you use for your morse code hobby?

My television ones are Bluetooth so.... Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the input guys.... pulling it through whilst keeping tension from the twisted bit to the plug, helped, then I had to patiently untwist the sections all the way back again down to the plug.

@Minivanman  No... these are 80`s ( I think) genuine Retro over the ear phones,

PRINZSOUND 808VS  if you do a search, there is a pair on Ebay for £18.00  going very very soon,.. ( no bid)  

with each earole having its own volume slider adjustment.  I use them for music videos...

I have a pair of VHF wireless phones for wandering around the house or out in the garden, when I put on a "playlist" of music videos.

Watching TV.. I use the subtitles,... cos normal voice conversation is nigh on impossible to follow, even with phones on.

Normally, I do not need phones for my morse listening, unless using a radio..

shutter
Community Veteran

now fixed  !

cheers guys..

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I often have subtitles on even with my headphones on as I don't always quite catch what is being said. But how annoying that Sky does not have them, and why has nobody taken them to task over it.

Deaf to complaints?

Glad to learn you are now untangled. Smiley

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@shutter 

Just in case it happens again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqIL5LmMtA

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

I often have subtitles on even with my headphones on as I don't always quite catch what is being said. But how annoying that Sky does not have them, and why has nobody taken them to task over it.

Deaf to complaints?

Sky has subtitles.

For SkyHD boxes the instructions are here

https://accessibility.sky.com/support-sky-plus/tv-sky-plus/skyhd-accessibility-settings-sky-plus/

ISTR you can quickly turn them of via the help button too

Instructions for setting them up on Sky Q

https://accessibility.sky.com/support-sky-q/tv-sky-q/Set-up-subtitles-sky-q/

AIUI not all programmes or channels carry them though.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

Thanks will check it out, although I only have access via my Kindle so it might not work.

This subject had been brought up here before though and the replies then were that Sky did not provide subtitles so maybe things have changed?

DaveyH
Champion

If you mean Sky Go then no subtitles aren't available unless things have changed, if you mean Now TV then subtitles are available on a limited number of on demand programmes

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@DaveyH 

No just Sky.

We piggyback onto our daughter's account which is why I watch Sky on the Kindle as for some reason the smart TV gets the wobbles if I try to watch it on there. 

Still odd whichever way you look at it given I do the same with Netflix from another daughter which has subtitles, and our own Amazon account is the same. 

As said, will check further from those links you gave earlier. Thumbs_Up

DaveyH
Champion

So you mean the Sky Q app?

If so, then like Sky Go theires no subtitles.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Sky Q us the actually decoder?

So no, not that. Quite often it will not let me download unless it's to one of those and that's with my daughter of course. Not a big fan as unless I can download as I get stuck with those never ending adverts two or three of which I do not mind, but they seem to just drag on. 

OK for for what movies and series I can download (none of which have subtitles) but that really is just about it. 

Downloaded and binged watched 'The Loudest Voice' starring Russell Crowe. Excellent, but no subtitles. Sad

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/9c1427a2-0e0e-4681-beaf-b45312fff84c/the-loudest-voice