cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious driving

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Curious driving

We were stopped along the A412 due to a very deep puddle of standing water due to the heavy rain, the two lanes of traffic had naturally filtered to go through said puddle as a single lane. Nothing wrong with that so far.
I was second in the queue, waiting for someone to give way or a natural gap to appear, and had a very good view of what happened next. 5 4x4's approached the puddle from the other direction 2 BMW X5's and Nissan, a Volvo and a Jeep, they all slowed to a stop before the puddle and very gingerly edged at almost zero mph through the puddle one at a time where, the water at it's deepest must have been well, almost all of 5 inches deep, barely up to the rims of their wheels !! Remember these were 4x4 all terrain vehicles, good job they never have to drive them off-road. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Curious driving

What heavy rain? Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We had quite a lot of it round here, my bowls match was cancelled due to a water logged green.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

We have just had it very windy and a odd shower but not enough to water the garden unfortunately! Sad
But, have decided not to go out and do so as it may well rain heavier during the night or tomorrow morning!

Re your story - don't forget they paid a lot for those vehicles so they don't want to get them dirty!  Also those big vehicles are harder to wash!  I feel sorry for them..............................
Fixes: 101

Sunny, no rain and windy here at my parents place.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew
...they all slowed to a stop before the puddle and very gingerly edged at almost zero mph through the puddle one at a time where, the water at it's deepest must have been well, almost all of 5 inches deep, barely up to the rims of their wheels !! Remember these were 4x4 all terrain vehicles, good job they never have to drive them off-road. 

True, if they were doing it properly they should have got out and tested the depth of the water before driving through. Although it looks daft, this is the correct approach. You never know what is hidden by the water (e.g. missing manhole cover), especially if you don't know that stretch of the road. I used to live in an area prone by flooding and it always made good entertainment watching people attempt to drive through too fast. The best by far was the council lorry that was putting out the 'Flood' signs. We warned him not to drive through due to the depth of the water... but he new better  Grin.
Fixes: 47

I've seen these 4x4s with air intake extensions up to roof level. How deep a puddle do they think their vehicles can handle Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Ah but if they go a bit too fast the mud might find it's way onto their Jimmy Choo's  Crazy

...and that would never do Roll eyes
Fixes: 101

Quote from: Strat
I've seen these 4x4s with air intake extensions up to roof level. How deep a puddle do they think their vehicles can handle Crazy

You are assuming they know what their air intake extensions are for!
Will Moderate For Thanks

Good point adiewoo. Most of the drivers I've seen would know more about hair extensions Roll eyes
Apologies if that's taken as a sexist remark. Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Doubt if it will be, coming from you Strat..... A truly "shining" example !  Wink Cheesy

Are you suggesting that the light is reflecting off my forehead Angry
A high fourhead is a sure sign of intelijens. Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Back in the Old days when the Ford Transcontinental was coming out, I had to test a one Off Cummins Engined vehicle throuh 1.5 metre of water. The design engineer said that ok, the air cleaner is designed to stop water entry.  So off I went, Bang so did two conrods, Glad I got him to put it in writing.  The one and only engine of that type in Europe. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Are you suggesting that the light is reflecting off my forehead

Nope!.... I think the camera operator made just the right settings, and by using "diffused" lighting, there does not seem to be any light reflecting back! Wink Cheesy