Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cure a cold : QUICKLY?

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Cure a cold : QUICKLY?

Heres the situation:
Woke up today. My face feels like someones pushing my cheekbones inwards. Throat is kind of sore, swallowing kind of hurts, not much though. Headache & Stuffy nose  Sad
Does anyone have any quick ways to cure this!? Ive just eaten a lemon and 2 500mg vitamin C tablets. 
Ive got to be pretty much recovered by monday, anyone have any tips on how to cure myself? (I need to revise for a flipping hard maths mock & Other work)
Thanks
Aman.
(Sorry if the question seems dopey, I need help!)
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Cure a cold : QUICKLY?

As someone who suffers severely from heavy colds / manflu to the point of being unable to crawl out of bed.. I can honestly give you one very good idea... although it does technically mean you overdose... never harmed me yet but this is totally at your own risk:
Covonia throat spray. Lots of it. It tastes vile, it takes your breath away but it has antiseptic and a mild anaesthetic. Spray it in, 5-6 seconds later your throat cools down rapidly and you won't feel it again for a short while depending on the severity of your cold/fly. The Antiseptic seems to be pretty effective at killing off the germs.
They do have a leaflet showint the maximum number of doses you should use but I've exceeded this many times using it as frequently as every 5 minutes. If you're like me and it starts in the throat this seems to be very good at killing it off but you need to use it in the early stages. As soon as I wake up with 'The throat' I hit the covonia spray and by the next day its packed up.
Again, there are safety instructions on the maximum dose you can use. Any overdose of it is entirely at your own risk. What does not harm me may well harm you so be careful if you try it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

There is no cure for the common cold, you only can mask the symptoms. I just had a cold the symptoms started Sunday, peaked on Monday/Tuesday and since Wednesday pretty much been clear of symptoms. I did go into a sauna a couple of time to sweat the cold out.
Fixes: 125

I rarely, if at all, use 'cold cures' but often take something like co-codamol to help relieve the symptoms.
What I have found extremely helpful is to keep the fluid intake regular and wrap up very warm, especially at night in bed, and literally sweat it out. Not exactly pleasant but normally I'm relieved of the cold within a day or two.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
There is no cure for the common cold

I used to agree with that but the antiseptic in the throat spray is used early enough seems to work wonders. Antiseptic kills germs and virus's which is why its also used in some kitchen cleaning products even though they say virus's can't be 'treated'.
Before using the spray I used to get the really bad throat for 2 days and then on the 3rd the snot and phlem would be everywhere. When I started using the spray (as disgusting as it is) as soon as I woke with 'the throat' it seems to stop it in its tracks. I reckon it must have something to do with the tonsils.
Scribe
Grafter

The vitamin C is good, but also try sucking a zinc tablet twice a day. I've done it for several years, and it at least seems to reduce the severity, if not knock it on the head completely... I think the zinc is supposed to kill the virus, hence the need to suck it and keep it in you mouth / throat for as long as possible.

Community Veteran

Just had another thought... you could always gargle TCP.. thats an antiseptic thats supposed to be safe for oral use.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Beechams powers or Lemsic usually do the trick for me plus a good nights sleep.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

For me "Oil pulling" with cold-pressed sunflower oil for 5 minutes 3 times a day seems to end the symptons pretty quickly.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Scribe
The vitamin C is good, but also try sucking a zinc tablet twice a day.

I have to agree.  When I feel the onset f a cold I increase my vitamin C intake and add zinc as well.  A visit to a steam room also works a treat.
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
There is no cure for the common cold

Soon after the Second World War there was a very long program of research into the common cold. After some years of research in which thousands of people were deliberately infected (they were volunteers) and various "cures " were tried. Nothing made any difference to the length of cold, It takes nine days. As said before, you can alleviate the symptoms but the infection is still there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Too much vitamin C is pointless (enough is Ok) but any excess is simply er! "dumped" as is any excess of most vitamins, your body will set its own levels.
Too many years ago I remember reading in the Readers Digest that some Canadian tests had shown that, the duration of a cold can be drastically reduced by simply resisting the temptation to blow your nose.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Is it because you end up dead with congested lungs?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Too many years ago I remember reading in the Readers Digest that some Canadian tests had shown that, the duration of a cold can be drastically reduced by simply resisting the temptation to blow your nose.

How does that work?  Shocked Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hot Toddy - made from hot water, honey, fresh lemon juice and whisky does a great job of relieving the symptoms if taken with sufficient frequency in tea mug quantities. Just remember to tell the missus not to use the 20 year old single malt Talisker.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.