cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cunning plan for GB Gold

GrahamC
Grafter

Cunning plan for GB Gold

Kerron Clement - Olympic Gold & Silver Medalist, 4-Time World Champion {2x 400mH, 2x 4x400m relay} and World Record Holder tweeted:
Um, so we've been lost on the road for 4hrs. Not a good first impression London.
Athletes are sleepy, hungry and need to pee. Could we get to the Olympic Village please.

A cunning plan indeed....
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Cunning plan for GB Gold

Yes, its just been covered on the lunchtime BBC news.
Not a good start for some...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
kdoug007
Grafter

OH NO! athletes arrive at heathrow, and COACH DRIVER LOOSES his way

coach carrying US athletes got lost and took four hours from Heathrow to Stratford. Hurdles champion Kerron Clement tweeted: "Lost on the road for 4 hrs. Not a good first impression London. Athletes are sleepy, hungry and need to pee.” Another coach, carrying Australian officials, took three hours because the volunteer driver could not work the sat-nav

WELCOME  TO LONDON
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Total incompetence. You'd have thought the drivers of all the coaches would be given specific routes and had done several dummy runs.
Community Veteran

As a coach driver, I suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye. No driver I know would dream of going blindly onto a route without checking it first however straight forward its alleged to be, they almost never are for large vehicles.
There's some talk of not understanding sat-navs. You mean sat-navs have been pre-loaded with the Olympic routes?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Some red faces I bet amongst the organisers today. Embarrassed Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
As a coach driver, I suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye.

I thought so, interviewed on LBC this morning on Nick Ferrari's programme, the Tfl traffic expert for Olympic roads etc. (sorry forgotten his name)
ref: the 4 hour lost driver etc. commented that it made good headlines but, simply wasn't true.
One driver accidentally took one wrong turn, immediately realised his mistake, turned around  (when possible, you can't just 3 point turn a coach in London's streets...my quote) total delay...20 minutes.
Its a matter of who you believe I suppose.

kdoug007
Grafter

i understand  , that at the  open  ceremony.  it will be  a  english  country  theme..
 +  cows  ,,  chickens ,, geese,,,  
the  overseas   athletes  have  been asked  if they can  clear all the  link:censored  up......
 !!! Crazy

adie:red removed avoidance of swear filter]
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I thought so, interviewed on LBC this morning on Nick Ferrari's programme, the Tfl traffic expert for Olympic roads etc. (sorry forgotten his name)
ref: the 4 hour lost driver etc. commented that it made good headlines but, simply wasn't true.

@ Petlew, last night on TV they interviewed the US athlete who posted the 4 hour comment.  It was put to him that the actual time taken to get to the Olympic Village was actually only 2 hours.  When asked to comment he said, 'Well it seemed like 4 hours'.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Here's an idea. Let's double Kerron Clement's run time. Afterwards we can say "Well it seemed like...".
Also news reports on G4S interviewed people commenting on instances of staff  "not turning up" for work. It was only days later that it was confirmed that the missing staff had never been asked to attend.
"A lie is halfway round the world before the truth has got its boots on" never more so than these days.