cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Culture Secretary wants to ban line rental charges?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Culture Secretary wants to ban line rental charges?

The way I read this it appears that the Cultrue Secretary , Ed Vaisey, thinks Line Rental typically costs £25/month (maybe that's just what he puts on his expenses  Lips are sealed) but at least he wants it looked at.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Culture Secretary wants to ban line rental charges?

Although the article itself is rubbish as a number of commentators there have pointed out
The problem isn't BT Openreach charges it is the ISP's who boost the rental charge to mask the far too low broadband charges
Compare the major ISP's with Pulse8 to see where the relative prices are being fiddled
Re the £25 per month - if you add in anytime calls and a few other bits you get close to it
Looked on FT  and it gets even more muddled
Ed Vaizey, digital minister, also wants telecoms groups to separate the cost of landline rental from broadband packages to make it clearer what customers are paying for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I agree that the ministers, while well intentioned, don't understand what they are talking about.
If this happens -
A BT source said ... could result in "the landline price [being] included in the broadband price to make it clearer.

If the new "transparent" broadband charges will include the line rental element, then it is not unreasonable to assume that similarly "transparent" phone pricing will also include the line rental element.  
I could imagine that if you choose to buy your phone service from one supplier, and your broadband from another, that the customer will effectively get charged twice for line rental.  
The upshot being that on cost grounds it will become even more of a disadvantage to not have your phone and broadband from the same supplier, as presumably taking both services from the same supplier then they could offer a discount the equivalent of a single line rental element, and we would be back to where we are now.
Next MPs will be wanting a GCHQ/NSA tax added, to cover the cost of mass surveillance, recording phone calls, and archiving internet usage history.
I am hoping that John Whittingdale MP doesn't get his way with banning AdBlockers !
as using Ad blockers on my connection is essential on my low bandwidth connection or PAYG 3G dongle, to limit unnecessary and unwanted traffic, to keep out a significant malware source on kids games websites, and simply not cripple our download speed with unwanted video adverts.
Angry
Steve
Pro

Line rental needs to be frozen like the TV license for a few years.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quoting a broadband price that includes the cost of the landline assumes that both will be from the same supplier. Is this a further step towards compulsory bundling?
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
Line rental needs to be frozen

To what it was a few years ago before things went silly with "free" offers.
Community Veteran

'ThinkBroadband' have a news article and comments - "Could Goverment pressure mean an end to voice line rental? "
David_W
Rising Star

This would be funny for me.  I'm with Plusnet for phone and fibre, but the phone is in my mothers name, the fibre in mine (which means I pay an extra £2 a month because I'm not with Plusnet for phone, even though I am), so if they then added phone rental on top I would be paying Plusnet twice for line rental (okay, as I'm pure fibre there wouldn't be any line rental as no copper, but I'm sure my situation isn't unique and someone out there has it split with FTTC and not FTTP).
Community Veteran

i'd ask this vaisey chap what he thinks is "hidden" in the line rental.  if i'm paying a line rental, or a standing charge on the electricity or gas meter, i know i'm paying it.  i don't call that hidden.  what's he really after?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

what i object to is having to pay a FULL line rental when i only use it for data.
bring in data only line rentals, voice only line rentals and voice+data line rentals.
those with voice+data should pay more than those who only only a single service on the line.
of course, if that did happen the ISPs would simply increase the service charges to compensate.
Community Veteran

what I object to is the rip off line rental and call charges which are way higher that cost from BTw / BTo
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7387-could-goverment-pressure-mean-an-end-to-voice-line-rental.ht...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the call charges are irrelevant to me, as i never use a landline telephone.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Surely OFCOM only needs to ban cross-subsidy to solve this.
Line rental charges are artificially high because of the stupid price war on broadband forcing apparent prices artificially low.
Maybe we should all pay our 'infrastructure maintenance charge' direct to Openreach and let the CPs/ISPs compete fairly for the products they're actually providing.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

an excellent suggestion and then we could report faults direct to them
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
Maybe we should all pay our 'infrastructure maintenance charge' direct to Openreach and let the CPs/ISPs compete fairly for the products they're actually providing.

Excellent idea !  Cool

If this happened, I would hope that as part of an 'infrastructure maintenance charge' that there would be an enforced commitment to renew and improve customers lines (such as swapping aluminium lines for FTTH or copper), and ensuring that no exchange falls more than two generations behind in technology terms (so if current is FTTC, previous was ADSL2, then all 20CN should be upgraded to at least 21CN ADSL2).