Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cultural Insensitivity

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Cultural Insensitivity

Blimey you couldn't make it up, but they did!

No wonder Dara Ó Briain was miffed!

Nearly as bad as this Londoner being called Welsh, which I have been Wink

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/the-guardian-calls-dara-briain-a-white-br...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
9 REPLIES
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

I suppose it is geographically correct in as much as Great Britain and Ireland (plus a number of smaller islands) constitute the British Isles.  I remember during the football World Cup in the USA the only country from these parts to qualify was the Republic of Ireland, and commentators referred to it as the British Isles team.

Minivanman
Hero

Well from an Irish perspective I can see why they would object to being called British even though as you say they are part of the British Isles. I think he was also objecting the being called white British which pigeon holes him even further. 

Is there an issue with being called Black, Asian, or Chinese British? I suspect there would be. Slightly further afield I have a brother in law in Brittany and his hackles rise if you call him Frenchman. "I'm not French" he says, "I am a Breton!" 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I hear the terms Black British, British Asian etc. used all the time, often by people of those ethnicities.  No issue there it seems.

Minivanman
Hero

Well there should be.

Fine when it comes to determining cultural mix of the nation but to be described as such in a news item where it has no relevance strikes me as both odd and unnecessary. I can see why being described as white British as he was raised questions. I'm a white heterosexual male genetically rooted in Yorkshire, but we're I famous (or not) - and putting to one side whether it was correct, would that need to be noted in the media?

I think not.Cool

Just imagine, "Diane Abbott MP a black female from Jamaica said when asked about police numbers......"

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

As I've mentioned in another thread, she has described herself as a West Indian mum although she was born in Paddington.  Describing her as "from Jamaica" would be factually wrong.  Describing her as a black female would usually be irrelevant, however just about every form one has to fill in these days does seem to want to know these details.

Minivanman
Hero

I take your point and not to labour my own, but she has described herself as Jamaican, and what forms have required those details other than for some sort is survey? Anyways, the issue was not about self description, it was about being described and categorised without it being relevant or correct. 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Some people describe themselves as African despite never having been to Africa.  If science in this area is to be believed, we are all of African origin so a blond blue-eyed Nordic type could also claim to be African.

Minivanman
Hero

Humans have developed and declined from several distinct species other than those from Africa I believe, so I'll lay claim to my Neanderthal DNA from central Asia Wink 

As for describing themselves as African rather than British, maybe that's a reaction or a point being made. Both my wife's paternal and maternal line are Italian, and whilst she takes pride in that she would and never has described herself as anything other than Welsh - so maybe again, assimilation and acceptance is extended and adopted easier for some immigrant groups rather than others.

It certainly seems to be the case as far as the likes of the Ms Abbotts and Bernie Grants of this world are concerned.   

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

In the US everyone's Irish on St Patrick's day, Italian when Italy wins the football (soccer), etc.