cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crusin'

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Crusin'

We seems to be having a small run of (ever popular) motoring topics.
Do you have cruise control fitted to your car? do you use it?
My experience is that its a slight waste of time. I no sooner switch it on on a motorway than I have to switch it off again for slower moving traffic, it has limited appeal if overtaking slower traffic as you can find yourself  obstructing traffic that was approaching in the lane you have moved into that is faster than your cruise control setting.
I guess on fast long straight almost empty American interstate highways it would have some appeal, but if it failed tomorrow I don't think I would miss it or bother to have it repaired.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Crusin'

Never had cruise control and can't see I'd want it. I'd be too concerned that I'd become a lazy driver relying on it and not concentrating as much as I should.
On the other hand I have heard some people highly recommend it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I recommend it. When I was working I once had a job in Bristol and the family home was in Filey North Yorks. I have just had a total hip replacement so at that time I was making this journey with pain due to having to hold the accelerator pedal in a fixed position for hours on end. The cruise control allowed me to to rest my leg and move about.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Do you have cruise control fitted to your car? do you use it?
Yes, both cars (one was an OEM retrofit) and Yes, frequently. Probably spend more time "on cruise" than not, even on short journeys.
Excellent for average speed cameras or indeed any road with a speed limit of 30mph or higher (that's nearly all of them in the UK) as it makes the drive more relaxing and improves concentration of potential dangers.
I'm also totally convinced fuel consumption is improved.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I also use it to avoid speed camera problems in 30 zone and on motorways for long distance cruising. In the Audi it is all too easy to drift over the speed limit without realising when on manual control. Even though the car has a manual gearbox I still find cruise control useful. On the motorway it increases my mpg by a couple of miles per gallon.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
both cars
One is manual (Ford) and the other auto (Audi).
Both are far from new, but the Ford system is better to use and more flexible/intuitive.
Community Veteran

I use it when possible. It's must better at economy than I am! Great for avoiding speeding tickets too. I always use it on speed limited roadworks as I always used to drift over the limit.
I can accelerate when necessary and the CC will continue working when I take my foot off the pedal. It will also discontinue whenever I touch the brake or clutch pedals.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I just wish mine would apply the brakes to maintain the speed otherwise it drifts up when going down hill in a 30mph limit
Community Veteran

Some newer cars do that, I had one once (about 10 years ago!) that did.
Community Veteran

Never used it in the UK but have used it in the US and find it useful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Three of our cars have had it and we still have one of them. I must say i'm quite happy to use it even on A roads as it means i can keep my foot over the brake pedal which reduces emergency braking time. It's also easier to maintain a constant speed too (though i'm quite good with my hearing of pitches etc so recognise the engines pitch / speed and recognises slight changes). As OJ says though, no brakes applied downhill which is a pain at 70 on a dual carriageway as you have to hit the brakes (turning off cruso) and then reset it at the bottom which is more of a distraction IMO. Although it is useful on motorways, I often find that it can be a bit hairy getting the lane changes right with cruise control turned on - you have to time it perfectly (which in fairness may actually be a better option as it keeps you more alert lol).
Yeah.. gotta love cruise control, it's brilliant but i must confess despite my love for it i can't actually remember the last time i used it  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd have thought remote-start would have been a more useful feature, considering the increase in car theft during the colder months where people start their cars, wander indoors while it warms up and defrosts, then come back out to find their car has gone, with remote start, you can start the car before going outside, let it heat up, and then unlock & get in it, put the key in the ignition and off you go... Smiley
As for cruise control, if used properly, it can actually be useful for econo-driving, as you set the speed you need and the car keeps it at that speed at lower revs than a human foot would, so it's pretty useful for that kind of driving style... Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
As for cruise control, if used properly, it can actually be useful for econo-driving, as you set the speed you need and the car keeps it at that speed at lower revs than a human foot would, so it's pretty useful for that kind of driving style... Smiley

I dunno about that.. ours has been known to floor it to maintain speed / speed up to its target. When I mean floor it i literally mean it doesn't drive up to speed sensibly, the accelerator literally goes limp and falls to the floor as the vacuum pump sucks the throttle wide open.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd call that a defect myself, wouldn't happen to be a toyota that likes to drive on it's own terms would it? Shocked
Community Veteran

Well we've had three of them and they've all done the same thing so clearly not a fault. That said, I was on a dual carriageway with the limit set to 70, slowed down, gone over a roundabout and then re-engaged the cruise control. Maybe when its set to a higher speed and engaged at a low speed it thinks it needs to shift it to get up to speed quickly? Who knows, all i do know is that it throws you into the back of the seat lol.