cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruising

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Cruising

Seem to be doing a lot of cruises this year, I get tired of going to the same old places and seeing very similar things, I have suggested that swmbo goes on her own or takes someone else but she will have none of it.

The main destinations are Aldi, Morrisons or Asda and with the scenery frequently changing with stuff that appears in a completely different aisle on the next visit, as mentioned previously swmbo insists I come for carrying the heavy bags and does not seem to understand that if she made more frequent trips the bags would not be as heavy.

Two questions, first for those of you who get out of shopping trips how do you do it, second  for those who do not get out of it do you not find that large stores who constantly shift stuff around the store to keep you there as long as possible is just a pain in the posterior ?

After all the staff get paid for being there, we as customers do not !

14 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Cruising

I hate the relocating of product groups as it increases the time it takes me to do my shop and I have better things to do.
People who subscribe to the shopping therapy theory must love it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Tips for those, like me, who "HAVE TO" accompany the missus shopping.

1.  never, never, never, go shopping when you are hungry.

2. always, always, always, make a list the day before,

3. never, never, never add to the shopping list from memory, as you go round.... ...  if you do, what was the point of making the list?

4. always, always, always, try to put the list in roughly the same order as you would find the goods in the supermarket.

5. take a pencil and tick off the items as you buy them... then if they have moved something, you can ask someone where it is.

(If you don`t have a pencil....  tear the edge of the list next to the item, and fold it up a bit,.. ( make like a saw tooth edge).

When stuff is "on offer"... double check to see if the "larger" size is better value, rather than "ten pence off" offer type

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

gleneagles wrote:

Seem to be doing a lot of cruises this year, I get tired of going to the same old places and seeing very similar things, I have suggested that swmbo goes on her own or takes someone else but she will have none of it.

The main destinations are Aldi, Morrisons or Asda and with the scenery frequently changing with stuff that appears in a completely different aisle on the next visit, as mentioned previously swmbo insists I come for carrying the heavy bags and does not seem to understand that if she made more frequent trips the bags would not be as heavy.

Two questions, first for those of you who get out of shopping trips how do you do it, second  for those who do not get out of it do you not find that large stores who constantly shift stuff around the store to keep you there as long as possible is just a pain in the posterior ?

After all the staff get paid for being there, we as customers do not !

@gleneagles - I thought this was going to be about sea-cruises, not shopping crawls.Wink

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm constantly irritated by the musical shelves game they play in supers, a few weeks back I went to the local te$co for some spices and they had taken the sauces, spices oils and pickles aisle and pretty much mirrored it, so everything was completely reversed in its location!! Blummin' irritating... Angry

The reason they do it though is to try and tempt customers into buying something else rather than just going for the "Same old" stuff (which in my case isn't really a thing as I go there as and when I need things rather than buy all my shopping in one go), hell, there was one time I wanted to buy corn oil (no lectures on it's health effects, I already know and don't care), where it was had been filled with various vinegars, and there's no way in hell I'm buying vinegar of any kind as it makes me sick to my stomach, and they had moved the oils to the opposite side of the aisle and at the other end, but by the time I noticed that (couple days later when going for something else) I'd already ordered the oil from Asda for delivery... Roll eyes

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I don't mind the occasional foray into a supermarket; once every four to six weeks in quite enough.

One thing I do find annoying is the lack of consistency among retailers as to where they keep Marmite and peanut butter.

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

first for those of you who get out of shopping trips how do you do it

I developed a phobia of them and other public places. Add to that my natural reclusiveness and my trips to the supermarket just stopped. After around a year the missus got fed up going by herself and started ordering our supplies online for home delivery.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@jab1

Interesting how one word can have several meanings, I wonder which word has the most meanings ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sadly, I have to do the shopping now as SWMBO can't (physically)

I've long held that men are better shoppers than women. I'm in and out in under fifteen minutes usually. I use the Tesco hand zapper, just occasionally I'm held up at the till as a routine check is required, this is only a percentage of the purchases.

As far as moving products around, yes, its annoying but, the same Tesco has a brilliant system, in the shelf position where a product used to be, a large card is inserted into the framework with the new row position written on it, seems they leave it on show for about a month. Simple but effective.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

gleneagles wrote:

@jab1

Interesting how one word can have several meanings, I wonder which word has the most meanings ?

That is probably a question which deserves it's own thread. Sure I've seen one on here in the past, but can't be bothered to go and find it.Wink

John
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Cruising? So glad is was not of the anonymous, casual, one-time variety Roll eyes

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
nanotm
Pro

I haven't been dragged to a supermarket in years, the shopping gets ordered online and delivered or she nips out on the bus and grabs a small amount, and best of all our local aldi will be doing online shopping soon so we might be able to shop there and save a few quid as well Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

petlew wrote:
As far as moving products around, yes, its annoying but, the same Tesco has a brilliant system, in the shelf position where a product used to be, a large card is inserted into the framework with the new row position written on it, seems they leave it on show for about a month. Simple but effective.

Must be a location-dependant thing, the tesco nearby doesn't do such a thing, management moves stuff about and doesn't even tell the floor staff about it, so they're just as lost as the customer! Crazy2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

While I completely agree with the sentiments being expressed here I have noted that in my local Sainsbury they haven't moved things around for over a year which is great for all us oldies who use it

Minivanman
Hero

Seems there is a supermarket science in play here and product movement of any sort is has to be a serious consideration along with all that lighting, background music and impulse buying locations. My pet hates are sweets at kiddy height at the checkout, and the Mrs rushing off to get something she has forgotten just as the conveyor belt is being loaded up. Happens nearly every time! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.