Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruises

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Cruises

A good friend of mine regularly takes Cruises, mostly around the Med and Scandinavia and Iceland, at least four times a year, and really enjoys them...
Apart from the one recently where the ship was caught in Bad Weather on the way to Scandinavia, and eventually had to turn back !

Now I have more time on my hands, having sold one of my businesses, I am considering taking up some Cruise Ship travelling, though most likely to more distant shores.
I wonder what others' experiences of Cruise Ship Holidays are ?
My main concern would be all the Food !!
We normally stay in decent Hotels on Holiday, unless we stay with relatives, and the food is soooo tempting, we invariably put some weight (ie: Waistline) on.
At least Cruise Ships seem to have decent Gyms.
Looking through Brochures and On-line at the moment.
There seem to be many misconceptions from people who've never been on one, and reported experiences seem to favour the negative.
Though others I have actually spoken to, who have actually experienced Cruise Ships seem to be positive, and very favourable.
What is a good number of friends and/or relatives to accompany us ?
Our recent break, there were mostly 12 of us, slightly too many over a long period of time.
Communications, what is email and phone contact like on such a Ship ?
Is SKYPE OK ?
Would a Satphone be useful ?
I am more hands off with my businesses these days, but do like regular updates from the Managers.

8 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Cruises

We did a short cruise in China about 18 mths ago and it opened my eyes - it was wonderful and I keep saying I want to do one up the coast of west Canada. You get to see all the different places without having to unpack and repack as you do when moving around via hotels.
We have a few friends who do them and they all love them. I think is a bit of a stigma that only the elderly partake in them but it's a case of finding the correct type of cruise ship for your circumstances. Personally I would prefer a smaller cruise ship than a huge one with 3,000 or so people on board.
As with everything it's only the bad aspects that hit the news.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
I am more hands off with my businesses these days, but do like regular updates from the Managers.

Tongue-in-cheek comment; I bet you're ever so popular staying in touch with work while you're on holiday. I worked for a coach company where the owner went on a cruise taking with him his laptop, all the coaches were fitted with trackers and he would follow their progress online, calling into the office if he wasn't sure about something. At least one very capable manager resigned because of it, with the comment "he doesn't need managers, only gophers"
But I digress.
A while back, cruises had a reputation for being the plaything of a certain section of society as a means of being able to be together more or less unmolested. Certainly a cruise my wife and I went on around the Canaries this was true, with a minority of the passengers being married couples in the sense that most people would understand that. Being very careful with my words there.
But maybe times have changed with more older folk with time and money on their hands.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

It can work the other way round also.
When I spent 3 weeks on holiday in Canada in 2004 I accessed work via a relatives PC.
As soon as work knew that I had access to their local network I was deluged with emails asking to fix problems remotely Angry
@PlusComUK it sounds like a wonderful way to spend free time Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

"Cruising" has many interpretations in the dictionary, but I guess the usage here is to describe the hell of being locked in a floating hotel with no real escape from people you don't want to meet.
Must confess I do like to cruise in a Narrow Boat.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Always thought a cruise would be my worst nightmare being stuck on a boat all day with little to do but was talked into going on a 2 week cruise around the Mediterranean with swmbo.
Turned out to be excellent (drinks package was included in the price) most days you were in a different port and could either do your own thing or go on an organised tour with several to choose from at the various venues.
Service and food was top class and there was plenty of entertainment on in an evening although some of it was bog standard.Out of a 2 week holiday there were only 2 full days at sea and plenty of entertainment during the day, one major advantage is that you only unpack once, one major disadvantage is that the food is available 24/7 so you will certainly put on weight during that fortnight.Having said all that I would never, even if I could afford it go on a world cruise, we know a couple who did and looking at the itinerary  there were times they were at sea for 5 days or more at a single stretch .
Remember there are over 2,000 guests on board so it's quite easy to avoid anyone if you wish to do so.
Fixes: 121

We have a couple of elderly friends who regularly go on cruises (not world) and always speak very highly of them all.
It's always interested me but would shy away as I can't swim  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
Always thought a cruise would be my worst nightmare being stuck on a boat all day with little to do but was talked into going on a 2 week cruise around the Mediterranean with swmbo.
Turned out to be excellent (drinks package was included in the price) most days you were in a different port and could either do your own thing or go on an organised tour with several to choose from at the various venues.
Service and food was top class and there was plenty of entertainment on in an evening although some of it was bog standard.Out of a 2 week holiday there were only 2 full days at sea and plenty of entertainment during the day, one major advantage is that you only unpack once, one major disadvantage is that the food is available 24/7 so you will certainly put on weight during that fortnight.Having said all that I would never, even if I could afford it go on a world cruise, we know a couple who did and looking at the itinerary   
there were times they were at sea for 5 days or more at a single stretch .

BIB:
That's a very good point, thanks for highlighting that.
Infinity
Pro

The Cruise Ship
Fri, Jul 11 · 20:00-20:30 · ITV
Episode One of Four
Filmed in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and Atlantic over two months, this documentary follows life on board the 3,600-passenger Royal Princess cruise ship, which was launched by the Duchess of Cambridge in June last year.
In the first edition, the crew prepares for a formal evening function and general manager Dirk Brand has his hands full with a laundry problem.
Meanwhile, spa worker Kelly, the new girl, copes with being away from home for the first time.

Dare I watch it ?
Of course I will do.

Quote from: PlusComUK
A good friend of mine regularly takes Cruises, mostly around the Med and Scandinavia and Iceland, at least four times a year, and really enjoys them...

Make that Six times a year, he's just off on another One... Northern Lights this time.