Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Croyden cat killer

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Croyden cat killer

In 2015 the police launched an investigation into a large number of cats being killed across the country, detectives received more than 400 reports and each individual report had to be investigated, at one point a reward of £10,000 was offered for information leading to the conviction of those responsible.

Yesterday the police announced that in most cases foxes were to blame and all the cases are now recorder as, ' no crime '

No doubt the police would have used outside agencies such as the RSPCA, vets and others during their enquiries but it does seem to have taken a long (and no doubt expensive) time to reach this conclusion.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
15 REPLIES 15
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Croyden cat killer

Bloody foxes wreak havoc in our garden every year from April (when the young are born) to August (when mum kicks them out). Next door's cat has been beaten up by the things, and they dig holes in the lawn and flower beds. There have been more this year than for years so maybe all the dead cats are increasing the fox population. Used to be foxes and rabbits when I was a lad! Smiley

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I read somewhere that foxes don't attack cats; the risk of serious injury from the cat's sharp claws isn't worth it for so little food (especially for urban foxes i suppose where pizza and McD are freely available in huge quantities).

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Well hopefully there is no-one still sane to be able to do that.

I must admit you get the local foxes waking you up round here (oh look what the is time it!), and I can hear them out there, hear them now as I type.

Doesn't sound pretty at the moment.

nozzer
Community Veteran

@Jonpe wrote:

I read somewhere that foxes don't attack cats; the risk of serious injury from the cat's sharp claws isn't worth it for so little food (especially for urban foxes i suppose where pizza and McD are freely available in huge quantities).

It's the young ones I think...  they are litle b***ers when they are about two months old. They will attack anything, cats, people, bins, poly bags, plants, anything that they think is a plaything! Not really an attack, just playing, as in wanting to tear things apart! hahaha

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yup @nozzer

I hear them outside here, sometimes around 2-3am. Messing about (well at least I assume that is what they are doing, not doing something nasty to themselves or some other animal).

This was about two days ago - so thanks foxes you could have at least saved my alarm clock the work and got me up a bit later.

Oh well, that's just the way it is.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@nozzer wrote:

@Jonpe wrote:

It's the young ones I think...  they are litle b***ers when they are about two months old. They will attack anything, cats, people, bins, poly bags, plants, anything that they think is a plaything! Not really an attack, just playing, as in wanting to tear things apart! hahaha

I recall a farmer who lost a number of hens saying the same thing.

A fox had killed all his hens but not eaten them, so clearly it was not after food.

Would owning a dog(s) be the answer ?

Some farmers put Lamas with their sheep to prevent attacks.

nozzer
Community Veteran

Yes, a dog will definitely put them off. So will a 45mm Howitzer! Evil

Strat
Fixes: 506

We have foxes in the area as they trigger my security cameras.

In the last few weeks we have had reports of a Badger also in our area although I have yet to see it.

I don't know how my cat would fare if she came face to face with a badger.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

nozzer
Community Veteran

@Strat

I hope it doesn't decide it likes your garden. Have you seen the size of the excavations for a badger set?

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

I've seen a variety of urban wild-life captured by one of my security cameras, both nocturnal and day-time, sometimes actually killing their prey.  These include a fox exiting our front garden with a still-flapping chicken from next door in its mouth, at least a couple of instances of sparrow-hawks (or possibly peregrines) killing pigeons, and several visits by badgers, including the badger(s) scurrying along the street outside.  I've retained a few of those shots but haven't seen much recent activity from such visitors.

Unfortunately their presence does not seem to deter most of the neighbourhood cats from defecating in our garden.  Sad

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@RobPN

Re your last sentence in the above post about cats & garden......has anyone found a workable solution to this problem ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently putting 2L bottles 2/3rd full with water on their side at various places around the garden scares them away, but this may well be an unban myth.

But if you're plagued with them an ultrasonic deterrent may be an option but it may affect more than the cats.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

Re your last sentence in the above post about cats & garden......has anyone found a workable solution to this problem ?

@gleneagles

Unfortunately the most effective solutions are against the law ...

(Scroll down)

A STORY OF A LITTLE GIRL AND HER DEAD GOLDFISH;

GoldfishInCat.png

nozzer
Community Veteran

@Anonymous

Your reference to ultrasonic deterrents....   I bought a fox deterrent that worked on the same principle and installed it on a tree in the garden. I caught a fox early one morning lying on all fours on the lawn about four feet in front of the device, staring at it and cocking its head from side to side listening to it. It loved it! Not the desired effect. 😲