cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cricket Pitches

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cricket Pitches

When I was a kid....... yeh ages and ages ago.... Cricket pitches were grass, the actual batting and bowling area, is what I am referring to.... it used to be carefully tended by the groundsman, and the grass was kept short cut... over the years, this seems to have developed into a non grassy area, and just an area between the stumps of plain dry mud,....
If this is the "standard" why don`t the cricket authorities investigate the possibility of a " standard " poly xxxxx x xxx ene ( or whatever material ) surface being laid down, which would provide a standard type response from the ball bounce, and give both teams the same quality of pitch to play on....
This would make the bowlers have to learn new skills to control the way they "delivered" the ball to the batsman... and sharpen up the reactions, and skills of the batsmen in "defending " the wicket....
5 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Cricket Pitches

Through work I had to visit a Cricket club yesterday at 8am and the groundsman was cutting the grass between the stumps. But this club may be backwards as I have noticed more seem to be devoid of grass.
randpwar
Grafter

One of the very many beauties of cricket is that each wicket (the bit between the stumps) is different and consequently will have greatly different characteristics that will require a massively different approach to batting and bowling; both the batsmen and bowlers will have to acquire a vast array of skills to be successful on.....hence the greater diversity of skills that you are searching for.  Have to say that I had to go and lie down for an hour or so after reading your suggestion to use artificial ‘grass’ for all cricket wickets. Although, to be fair, this is what happens in countries that aren’t set up to play cricket to any great standard
Community Veteran

The point I was making was... that ... the groundsman used to work to provide the best possible surface for playing on....
given the fact that he put a lot of effort into "nurturing" the soil, to promote the growth of grass ( roots ) to bind the "mud" together to give a "consistently level surface" after rolling and mowing....
When cricket was invented, it evolved into this form of  "care" over time, due to the players complaining (presumably) of all the bumps and ditches in "normal" playing areas, and the evolvement of the lawn mower, and understanding of horticulture, this presented the players with a more "uniform" and "acceptable" playing surface.... i.e.  they could bowl the ball in such a way as to hit the stumps with some precision, and the batsman, with his skills could defend the stumps... prior to the lawnmower, the bowler had to find the right "hillock or hollow" to be able to guide his missile and hit the wickets,... equally, the batsman had to be very observant of the same ( or indeed many more )  hillocks and hollows, not only because he needed to assess which one/and where the bounce off would propel the ball in his direction, but also  when the batsmen run across these hillocks and hollows, so that they could arrive at the far end without serious injury, and continue the game. ... therefore the cricket clubs adopted this short grassy area provided by the groundsman as a " safe " area.!...
If this playing area was made synthetically, or even "concrete"...  Cheesy it would not be dissimilar from the present evovlvement of the pitch........ 
Community Veteran

Addendum to the above..... don`t give me the excuse it will put groundsmen out of work..... they will still have the rest of the field to mow and care for...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

But surely the areas you refer to are rolled by the groundsman prior to a match Undecided