cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credits

Fixes: 125

Credits

It seems that TV credits scroll or flash on screen ever faster these days to the point they're barely readable.
I think American programs are the worst. Is there really any point of displaying them like this?
I remember in the early 90's ITV stopped showing credits for some time so they could cover the Gulf War (?) in more detail.
I also dislike when they squeeze the credits to one side/top/bottom of the screen for announcements making them even harder to read.
I enjoy the credits whether TV or film as I can then look out for others produced/directed/acted by the same persons. I could check on IMDB, etc but why should I?
When at the cinema I prefer to stay to the end of the credits as it's all part of the experience plus, by then, the theatre is almost empty  Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Credits

They do it so they can squeeze more adverts in between programmes, same with the opening titles, compare ones from the 80s to ones from today and you see a big difference between the length of the intro...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

certain shows they shove an adbreak in before the intro credits have even started to run, one program I watch I stopped watching live because they shove in ad breaks every 5 minutes completely disrupting the show, its a travesty when you consider said show is now almost 2 hours long despite only having 50 minutes of program ..... thank god for recording devices that allow me to playback skipping all the ads .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah.... Emmerdale is supposed to be a 30 minute programme according to the tv schedules... but it invariably starts 1 or 2 minutes late... has a long ad break somewhere about 10 mins later, then finishes at about 25 mins for 5 mins of ads before the next prog...
Community Veteran

The quality of many of the programs on tv nowadays makes me wonder if the credits aren't rolled so fast so you can't read who's responsible.  Wink
Community Veteran

Yes that makes more sense.
pwatson
Rising Star

ITV credit rules here
4.2 Duration
Name credit sequences should be a minimum of 20 seconds and a maximum of 30 seconds.
The Production Company Credit (PCC) should be a maximum of 3 seconds.

Channel 4 Programme Length and Credit Length spec here (Note the programme duration against booked slot!)
Channell 5 document here - Again, note the programme length spec.  Credits are 25 secs + 3 sec for company logo
Community Veteran

@Mav, I agree with your comments but can understand why TV speeds up the credits. Like you when at the cinema I like to stay to read the credits. Sometimes these can take at least 5 minutes so would not get much attention on TV. As you say few people bother to watch them in the cinema even.
Steve
Pro

Not forgetting that sometimes in the cinemas after these credits you could get extra clips Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

artmo if you like credits, buy hotshots on dvd - a comedy film. Longest credits ever but does include some cooking recipes  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

There's been quite a few films that add out-takes while the end credits are rolling. Can't recall them off-hand, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro

lethal weapon did that as did a few others back in the early 90's, indeed you had to stay until the lights went on or you missed the end of one film because they didn't finish it until after the credits were done ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you