cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit reports

Fixes: 125

Credit reports

Having recently used the free trials of Experian and Equifax I wanted to further check my credit rating.
I had a look at CheckMyFile.com which seemed to get a lot of favourable reviews so registered with them and got a very comprehensive report. Thankfully nothing untoward found but I had been a little concerned as recently we were getting a lot more mail intended for others but nothing showed up in the report.
I did note that their Equifax score was different (slightly less) than that reported direct from Equifax so will ask about that but, otherwise, quite happy with it. Will cancel at the end of the trial period, though.
Edit: The pdf from CheckMyFile is password protected. Is there a way to remove that password?
Edit: Changed wrong web address.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Credit reports

The credit score reported by Equifax and Experian are based on what they think the credit providers use,  and may be different from each and every provider out there, who are also likely to be different from each other!  So the fact they don't match is no suprise.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Word of advice..... CANCEL NOW !...  do not wait.... what do you need them for now?... (you may also forget to cancel )  but make sure you get some kind of reference from them to confirm it as cancelled.... I know three people, as well as myself, who got charged after the "free trial" period....
Was a few years back now, and can`t remember how I notified them,  but I did have a copy of my cancellation to the bank, and I`m pretty sure I got some kind of ref from them, which I produced to confirm I had cancelled.

Too late, already cancelled Smiley
Got in, got my report and got out again. Cool
All three need you to telephone to cancel. I had no problems and have received email confirmations on cancellation.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good man !  Wink
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Mav
Edit: The pdf from CheckMyFile is password protected. Is there a way to remove that password?

You could try http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/pdf-password-remover.htm
Note that if the pdf is printable, then you could just print to a pdf-printer.

Thanks Un renard, you prompted me to look at PDF-Viewer which gave me an option within Preferences to remove the security password. Resaved and all's well.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Great!
It's strange - but if you want to remove DRM or bypass security, it's usually best to look at Windows applications first.  Grin

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Un
You could try http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/pdf-password-remover.htm
Note that if the pdf is printable, then you could just print to a pdf-printer.

Thank you for posting the link GuaPDF does work but it will only remove some of the encryption with the demo version, as I right this out I am trying out Free PDF Unlocker.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yeah I was quite surprised how easy PDF restrictions are to bypass.
Our sysadmin gets this kind of thing often, and he showed me a site he uses for it.
I wonder why people still bother with them?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Our local council has started a "digital library" - probably so they can close a real library.
Books are in DRM'd PDF or DRM'd EPUB formats - but in both cases it is childishly simple to remove the DRM.
I need to do this, since there is no way I'm letting any Adobe product near my machine.
If you want to read unencrypted e-books on a PC then Calibre is an excellent product - free of course!
(EPUB or plain text works better than PDF though).

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Free PDF Unlocker does not work, but Free My pdf does
Use this site to remove passwords and restrictions (such as printing, copying text, etc.) from PDFs.
kdoug007
Grafter

I  did  read  these  companies . are  actually  loosing  money  !!