cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards & Paypal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Credit cards & Paypal

If you purchase something with a credit card for £100 or more you have consideral protection if there are problems with the goods or service you have paid for.
How does this compare to Paypay ? I am aware that a complaint about goods or services is likely to get your money back but from a legal viewpoint have you got guaranteed protection with a credit card compared to paypal who may only refund your money at their discression ?
In short are you giving up certain rights using Paypal who take the money from your credit card anyway ?
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Credit cards & Paypal

As I understand it when paying using PayPal you forfeit your rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
For Section 75 to work you must have a direct relationship with the seller and paying through PayPal takes away this direct relationship.
More here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have had a refund through a CC after paying with paypal, but it is a grey area.
Community Veteran

I don't think CC companies have any legal responsibility if payment is made through PP.
I had a problem with an overseas company recently and asked PP to help. They have at least got the company to deal with my problem which is a result.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
As I understand it when paying using PayPal you forfeit your rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
For Section 75 to work you must have a direct relationship with the seller and paying through PayPal takes away this direct relationship.

D'you know, I never realised that!
Thanks, Mav