Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Credit card

Quite common in the present climate to be asked to pay via credit card when in shops and various other locations....I have even seen notices that say.....’ We do not take cash’.....

Not a problem for most of us and no doubt sensible in view of the current corvid restrictions...but...how do those people who have no cards go on, there must be thousands of people in that category 

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Credit card

I usually only pay large amounts by card but Clinton Cards only accept card payment now so I had to pay £1 on my debit card for a greeting card.  Supermarkets are trying to coerce customers into using cards by making most check-outs card-only.  A recent study found that people who paid cash spent quite a lot less than those using cards.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Credit or Debit cards.

At a guess I'd say millions of credit and many more millions of debit cards have been issued and one can only assume its either the very young or the very (very) old that do not. Cash I have not carried for years and only draw it out these days to pay the guy that delivers our fire wood from time to time. No receipt asked for of course nudge nudge.

Other cash transactions which might or might not be sniffed at (another nudge nudge) - but that's something else entirely. 🙄

As for credit cards, backup only for us in case of emergencies only - and both best avoided. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Jonpe I noticed on my recent trip down South many shops &c were only accepting card payments in the current situation - understandably - but that didn't mean I, personally, spent more than I normally would. Also, my physiotherapist only accepts card/bank transfer payments.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Some businesses are doing well in the current clime. Card companies being one. Maybe the government will hit them with a surprise covid profiteering tax.

The government has to start clawing money back from somewhere.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

All they'll (the businesses) will do is put the prices up anyway, so you'll be paying for it even if you don't use a card.

Let's not give the government and the PC Brigade on silly ideas on what to tax next. Even though they tax sugar now, answers on a postcard to what that has acheived and what we have seen out of that.

Sugar is bad for you - except not if you suffer from diabetes where it could save your life if your blood sugar gets low.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The once popular slogan "we are all in this together" has justifiably fallen by the wayside.

The "we are all in the same storm but not all in the same boat" is edging into the slogan lead.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Very rare I use cash as a payment means now - I do keep about £25 cash on me just in case of emergencies.

Nearly all purchases are contactless via mobile Google pay which uses my debit card.

I also use direct bank transfer for a couple of services.

I do have a credit card which I use just for fuel & large purchases but direct debit zeros that every month.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Some interesting comments but does not really address the question asked.....how do those with no credit or debit card go on ?

Some might not want such cards by choice but there must be many thousands who have no cards because the banks will not give them a account, not sure what conditions you need to meet to get a account but I guess you would need a permanent address, not be bankrupt or have a history of debt ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Well I guess ther don't, unless they draw cash our of their bank (if they can find one) so they can make those purchases as without a card they are the only source of cash. Employers might pay cash in hand but they and far between.

Back again to bank or credit cards as even your bank will let you have a bank card if you have a small amount deposited with them. Credit cards are somehting else although these days they are not so hard to get hold either making it easier for those on stretched incomes shal we say fall into debt.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,099

@gleneagles everyone is entitled to a basic bank account

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@dvorak 

Err sorry, but I don't think so. In fact I'm sure they're not.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@dvorak Should have highlighted the keyword : basic

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Yes, if you don’t meet the identification or proof of address requirements needed by the bank they can reject you. You could also be rejected if you’ve a criminal conviction for fraud. If rejected you’ve a right to ask the bank why, and if unhappy you could make a formal complaint. If you’re still unhappy with the bank's decision you can take it further to the free Financial Ombudsman Service

HD

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

So what's different about a basic bank account.

Just asking. 🙂

PS. Just recalled... years back the Nat West refused my application to open a company bank account with them. Something about having the same company account elsewhere as well, which I did. 😉