Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Credit card

A basic bank account is not a description it's a product, not all Banks offer them - most do.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Champnet 

As with commerical banks?

Mind you, I don't suppose even the likes of Coutts would be interested in my tin of buttons and old pennies! 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm after a medium size four hole dark green button.

No luck so far. None in my tin.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote: Back again to bank or credit cards as even your bank will let you have a bank card if you have a small amount deposited with them. Credit cards are somehting else although these days they are not so hard to get hold either making it easier for those on stretched incomes shal we say fall into debt.

Funny enough I tend to pay for nigh on everything with the credit card and just pay off the one bill at the end of the month. But yes, easy to lose control. Sometimes I look at the bill and do a double take. Really, that much this month. Quick add up and ........ eeks, its right! I could also easily see if someone wasn't so disciplined when it came to spending money, how they might rack up a big debt.

But I do like a bit of cash on me. One thing I haven't got into is paying by phone. I was in a queue (2m social distance) in the supermarket last weekend and the woman in front was trying to pay the bill using her mobile. God knows what was going wrong but it certainly didn't seem to be doing the biz for a good couple of tries.

And have you noticed how the once free current account is gradually being steered towards a paid for account. Knew it would happen. Cash comes with no hidden extras. Always free.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Somebody mentioned about spending less with cash as well so I asked the Mrs about that as she does the shopping. Quite right she said, it also took longer with cash as I checked and ticked that shopping list to make sure I did not spend more than I had on me to pay.

Remember how worried we'd be that your card would be refused at the checkout?   

Highlighted
Champion

When I worked in banking a basic bank account was designed for people with poor credit histories. They provided an account with debit card,  ability to do d/d's and to receive payments in (wages etc). No overdraft facility or any other whistles or bells.

Had a credit card when I was self employed but when I went back into employment didnt bother. When I got married I got another one a joint one because I got a good rate as I was employed by a bank but never used my card  although my wife used hers. Last year my wife got her own card, My card expired and I did not renew so again do not have a credit card!!!Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Funny thing with credit cards is when you have one, others jump through hoops to give you another. How guys have several and shift one lot of debt to another is totally beyond me but needs must for some I guess.

Many out of work now because of Covid and much else so there is now an even greater chance of being tempted to have a 'sod it' credit card Christmas - but this time with not a cat in hells chance of paying if off.

The bubble is about to burst.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

in the supermarket last weekend and the woman in front was trying to pay the bill using her mobile. God knows what was going wrong but it certainly didn't seem to be doing the biz for a good couple of tries.

That's getting worse as some supermarket chains now have their "clubcard" and offers via a phone app. I too was behind someone who took several tries to scan this app. Maybe your woman was doing the same?

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:

Remember how worried we'd be that your card would be refused at the checkout?   

One reason I carry cash. Been there but chances are I'd just pull out the debit card. And if I don't have enough cash, well there is always the 'leave it behind' option 🙂 Supermarkets (and other customers) just love that. The looks, well they could kill! 🤣

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

Funny thing with credit cards is when you have one, others jump through hoops to give you another. How guys have several and shift one lot of debt to another is totally beyond me but needs must for some I guess.

I have a few different cards, but they do different jobs. My Sainsbury's card for everyday spending and Nectar cards, my Halifax clarity for commission free and commercial exchange rates for overseas spending and my Barclaycard for free ATM use around the world with no fees, interest or other penalties. All are paid off monthly, so no punitive charges. 

Debit cards can be purchased pre-paid card, so you don't need to have a bank account with them, so credit worthiness isn't an issue.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have 2 cards, one Bank and one credit card.

My wife has so many cards it’s unbelievable, true they are mostly for money off or other stuff but I buy so little it’s pointless for me having a mass of cards.

As I understand it if you have a credit card and fail to pay off the minimum amount the bank have the right to claim the outstanding amount, I also understand that they can take the outstanding amount out of any bank account you have with them which could leave you with a number of problems.

Banks put their interest before any customer interest, many years ago when my daughter left uni the bank contacted her to say as a student she had a special account but as she was no longer a student all outstanding money had to be repaid in a couple of weeks...but they were quite happy to give her a loan at a fairly high interest rate so this could be used to pay the outstanding amount,  very generous of them !

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Don't forget the additional consumer protection you get with a credit card for purchases over £100.

I know a lot of people, often the less well off, don't check their statements and have old phone contracts still being paid by DD years after they stopped using that phone.  One reason I don't pay for food etc. (except occasionally a large shop before Christmas) is that I would find it difficult to keep track of whether I'm charged the right amount on my card statement.  With cash I know what I'm supposed to pay, and what I've paid.  Btw, have you noticed how often supermarkets have the wrong price on the shelf label.  M&S are worse than some of the cheaper ones.  Even if I've only been overcharged by 1p, I make sure they refund it.

And don't forget to check your receipt.  I once bought a few items from the food section and thought the total was a bit steep but it was only as I was approaching the exit that I checked my receipt and saw 'Striped trousers £6' on my receipt.  When I went to the customer service desk to get it rectified, pulling plastic nets of satsumas etc. out of my bag to show the staff member what clearly wasn't trousers, striped or otherwise, the man behind me in the queue remarked that it would be a bit draughty wearing those in January!

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@Jonpe wrote:

.  Btw, have you noticed how often supermarkets have the wrong price on the shelf label.  M&S are worse than some of the cheaper ones.  Even if I've only been overcharged by 1p, I make sure they refund it.

I was in Sainsburys and an elderly gentleman was writing the prices of everything he was buying on them with a black felt tipped pen I thought that was a good idea

HD 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I can usually memorise the marked prices of everything I've bought, but if something looks too much on the receipt, I go back and check.  Another thing that is becoming commonplace, is that special offers are not 'advertised' on the shelf, which can give you a nice surprise when you get to the check-out and find that the two items you bought were a 'buy two, get second half price' offer.  Not so good if you bought one and would have bought two if they'd bothered to display the offer on the shelf!  And then you have the special offer that is displayed but is two weeks out-of-date and no-one's bothered to remove the label and the expiry date is printed in microscopic figures.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yes will I know supermarkets and businesses have 'loss leaders'. Product they advertise where they make a loss on, making the assumption you'll buy other things as well which subsequentially they'll make their money back on.

You're hardly going to spend the public transport costs or petrol (better say or diesel or the charge for an electric vehicle to be PC in this day and age).

Even if you order on-line, they'll be a minimum spend of £x so you will order some more goods.