cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card problems

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Credit card problems

Seems customers of RBS  and several other banks have had problems obtaining money from their accounts leading to all kinds of problems,
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/rbs-to-reimburse-customers-after-it-glitch-causes-card-...
Bet when the CEO's Bonus is paid that will not be reduced in any way.
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Credit card problems

Quote from: gleneagles
Bet when the CEO's Bonus is paid that will not be reduced in any way.

Or late Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

It happened to the same bank earlier this year.  They seem to have a few unresolved problems Undecided
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

its all an English conspiracy to derail Scottish faith in banking services (I read that online when looking for something else) I almost spat out my coffee at that statement  Grin this morning
I do have to wonder what kind of banking system causes such a fall over to occur and affect all e-banking, where is the failure redundancy?  its bad enough when you read about companies like Santander suspending online banking, but that doesn't affect atm machines or card services, but to have a complete failure like this shows that RBS is operating with a single failure point affecting all there services, that has to raise questions about there ability to function reliably, and to question there ability to safeguard peoples money (because clearly there account records have to be suspect)
it also raises questions about why businesses don't have the opportunity to use offline payment mechanisms or alternative payment routes for the inevitable periods when card services are unusable (because its a fairly common problem for an intermittent outage of a few hours with most providers)
I'd hate to be in the situation where I went to pay for something and my card failed to be authorised (because it feels somewhat shameful)
and then to make everything even worse RBS announces that they have major problems with ancient unstable IT systems that are prone to failures .....clearly they haven't been spending enough on keeping there customers money safe and far to much on share dividends and shareholders bubbly, about time they withheld bonuses until things are fixed (and let the over paid stuffed shirts in the banking industry get a taste of what the rest of us have been dealing with for the last few years since they caused the financial meltdown)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

The CEO will get his bonus, but it will be paid into an account that he can't draw on because his card won't work Smiley
nanotm
Pro

don't be silly he banks with Lloyds
Community Veteran

Hopefully when Scotland votes for independence  they'll be given RBS while the English get NatWest back.
I was reading elsewhere that the RBS bosses reckon they need to invest £1 Billion in their IT systems to bring them up to date. I wonder who it was who prevented such expenditure in the past? Perhaps those people should have their bonuses and pensions halved to help fund the necessary investment.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

AlaricAdair, that's more or less what is happening as far as I understand: http://rbsbranchinformation.co.uk/
I think pretty much all the English and Welsh RBS's and I think (though not taken as much notice of this part) Natwests in Scotland are being sold off, so it will be RBS in Scotland, Natwest in England and Wales and Williams & Glyn for (some of/all?) the sold off branches.
Phil
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Hopefully when Scotland votes for independence  they'll be given RBS while the English get NatWest back.
I was reading elsewhere that the RBS bosses reckon they need to invest £1 Billion in their IT systems to bring them up to date. I wonder who it was who prevented such expenditure in the past? Perhaps those people should have their bonuses and pensions halved to help fund the necessary investment.

well given that some dude on the news was gobbing off about there backbone it system being on a windows nt3.5 server I wouldn't be surprised if they did need to invest some serious money into it, the amount of 1 billion would seem to be rather alarmist, unless they mean the actual cost of replacing all there old out of date junk setup and creating a multi-failure point infrastructure (there main account server according to the "ex -employee" was something from the mid 90's that's been life extended through part replacement and running its original software) instead of the current single failure point setup.
even so I cant see it costing that much unless there planning to outsource responsibility for everything to something like  the Fujitsu-Siemens networking Corp for a fully managed setup and there using the full 10 year cost ......instead of the more common system of lump replacement +licencing normally done by the in-house techs ...
kmilburn
Grafter

It's not just a question of their IT systems though,  it's also the problem that they've layed off all the staff who maintained the systems and outsourced the work to India (courtesy of EDS/HP, IIRC).
The biggest problem with old kit (they still have mainframes running COBOL) is that the people who wrote the software have either reitred or been replaced with people with no knowledge of how the system works.
nanotm
Pro

indeed but surely they should also have replaced the old kit as well with more durable modern systems
for instance if you update the hardware and transfer over the database you can then copy the structure across multiple systems and have fail over interfaces that align separately for each division point, i.e. a complete network that's duplicated (in terms of servers) with more than 1 connection point for the atm network, a single interface unit for online banking (because you need to be able to isolate it in the face of an attack without compromising the rest of your services) duplicate interface levels for the interbank node's, twined services for the card payments division and not all relying on a single database instance.
I cant believe that a bank has been allowed to function with a single server setup (ok so it had a duplicate but in the event one failed they both refuse to work) in this day and age there should be at least 5 layers of redundancy to allow operations at different levels to operate, when there system crashed nothing was accessible until after the mainframe had been repaired, verified its data with the secondary and then brought back online as a matched pair (which means a few lucky people got a few quid out of the ATM without it coming off there bank account)
never mind outsourced labour to sweatshops in foreign lands, its the actual hardware setup that's a big no-no, I cant believe its even compliant with FSA operating regulations for banks ....
Community Veteran

The FSA ceased to exist on 31st March and a new regulator, the FCA, took over on 1st April 2013.
FCA
The powers of the FCA are enhanced compared with the old regulator.
nanotm
Pro

thanks for that, I'd forgotten about the rebrand of which quango was responsible.....but still I would of expected them to force a change in such bad operating practices .....