Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card fees being imposed by councils

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Credit card fees being imposed by councils

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11422795
It's pretty obvious that this is yet another attempt by councils to push people in to DD. Two councils are also charging fees on DEBIT cards. It is intended that cheques are abolished in a few years. How will people pay one off fees (e.g. planning application) without incurring a card fee?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Credit card fees being imposed by councils

It would be lovely to take in a very large bag of coins and dump it on their desk saying they had forced me into this. Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Give them a cheque until they abolish those
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
It would be lovely to take in a very large bag of coins and dump it on their desk saying they had forced me into this. Cool

I had a very similar thought!
N/A

As it says in the report this is nothing new.  I pay for the full year (online) for my television licence and water rates with my debit card.  Don't use the credit card as they charge.  It is a bit irksome because I only got the credit card for security in online transactions.
These days I think that I prefer PayPal as it reduces the number of times you have to input your card details.
I also find it annoying that you are constantly being pushed to set up direct debits, even if you are fully paid up for the year. I'm not keen on DDs and keep them to a minimum.
With regards to the councils, I can see their point if they have to pay but I would prefer to see a discount for early payment.  It would encourage people to pay promptly.
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
I would prefer to see a discount for early payment.

I've seen discussions elsewhere explaining that they can't do that for legal reasons beyond their control.
Community Veteran

I have no real problem with charges being levied for payment by credit card - if I want to defer actually paying for something, paying a fee to do so is not unreasonable (I won't pay interest as I pay off the credit card in full every month).
It's the charging for the debit card I have problems with. I guess people who tend to use cheques will also be the same people who have no PC or internet access so PayPal is not an option.
Community Veteran

Any large organisation will negociate a very low rate with the card companies for handling their transactions.  i wonder what they are charging their customers Undecided