cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Internet Fraud

N/A

Credit Card Internet Fraud

Just had a call from a friend who has just had a telephone call from Saga. Her credit card has been compromised following an order for a camera from America.
This has nothing to do with a computer security issue as her laptop is clean. The details must have been stolen by staff.
The company are wise to this now and have prevented the fraud. Apparently they just use them for a small amount of money for a first transaction then if it is successful would go on to take a large amount.
Wonder if anyone else has had problems?
19 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Credit Card Internet Fraud

Shutter just ordered a camera from the US.
I'm certain the two are unrelated....
(No really, I *AM* certain the two are unrelated, just an amusing coincidence)
Glad that your friend had a reasonable experience with Saga.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have had it done twice, different cards.
The first was someone bought a sony laptop and it was charged to my cc, I got full tracking details including the address & name of the end user. That one was put down to mixed up numbers  Crazy
The second one was a CC I never use, there was 5 transactions to an online gambling site, £5/£10/£200/£1000/£1000, the CC phoned me and queried it, I said I don't gamble and it wasn't me they refunded the money and I never heard any more.
In both cases I got a different card number issued and haven't had any issues since.
It may have been staff at the website (unlikely).
Lurker
Grafter

I was a victim a few years ago (back when I banked with Halifax, so must have been at least two years ago I think)
They called me since they thought it would be unlikely that I would need to buy flights from a UK airline, and train tickets in Italy, and goods from a London electronics retailer, and something else in Manchester all within a few minutes.
I only really use my credit card for business expenses and fuel - its rare that I buy things online or over the phone.
They immediately credited all the items that I told them were fraudulent, and sent me a declaration of the same to sign and return.
New card issued immediately, (2-3days)
Very happy overall with the service.

It was about the only aspect of banking with them that I actually enjoyed...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for the heads up !.... however, I haven`t actually bought anything from the US.... I was enquiring as to the possible "additional costs" Customs VAT and Postage , added to that a return postage if it turned out to be rubbish, all combined meant that I would have paid more in "additonal costs" than for the item (a telephoto lens not a camera).
I have a seperate bank account, which only has about £50 max in it, with no overdraft facility, so If I want to buy anything on line, I use that DEBIT CARD (not Credit Card) and transfer the exact same amount into the account to cover the purchase.... It is easy then to track when purchases have been made/paid, and if the card is compromised, then the max they  will get away with is the amount I have left in there to keep the account open... (sometimes as little as £5.00 )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just been looking a a photo mag, had a road test of a Nikon D3s DSLR, looked good, then found an advert from Calumet for it, the offer very good discounts  Body only £3595,  70 - 222mm lens £5425 with a fantastic discount of £20  - have not missed the decimal points  http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk

My recent fraud one was for fishing gear, I dont fish, the person had one lot away and the seond bounced, stupid shop took the order over the internet, mobile phone number, hotmail e-mail, address 200 mile from where I lived.  Police went there the house was empty.  I lost nothing, the shop did though - NW Mastercard
Not quite so good with Lloyds Amex, I odered something frm the US, got a call within minute, said yes it was me, OK will pass it.  Then a while later got a call from the US, it had bounced.  Amex had stopped the transaction, even though I told them it was OK
jmd
Grafter

The only time I had any problem was after I had used my card at a Craft Fair {Thoresby} I had a call from the card issuer to ask if I had been to London or abroad spending............. I said certainly not so they obviously stopped those payments and I got new card.  I think the banks seem to be quite good on checking these things now most of time!
N/A

It's reassuring to know that companies are being vigilant.
On the subject of credit card limits, my friend did say that she had contacted the company recently to reduce the limit, which was set at £10,000. Like me, she considers this far too high and very worrisome if someone did manage to procure fraudulent credit with it.
I only use my card for Internet usually as I was told that it was safer for these transactions (I had never needed one prior to this advice). Having just checked this I see that it is set at £7,500 which is absolutely stupid IMO. Will be getting on to my bank pronto to get a reduction.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well try a Tesco card, they have my limit tagged at £2k5 been there for years even though I have a very good credit rating and pay it off each month!
Community Veteran

With Lloyds you can sign up to receive a text message each time your card is used abroad.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Well try a Tesco card, they have my limit tagged at £2k5 been there for years even though I have a very good credit rating and pay it off each month!

Similar here , I deliberately keep a low limit on one of my cards and that is the only one ever used for online transactions. 
johpal
Grafter

It has happened to me twice now. The first time, I knew nothing until I received my monthly statement and alerted the bank. The second time, I received an automated call from the bank, asking me to verify a transaction, that was indeed fraudulant.
It seems any dishonest person working for a company where "customer not present" transactions take place (ie you are not there to enter your PIN) can make use your details (with the technical skills) for fraudsters to go off on a spree.
On neither occasion did I lose, or mislay my card. The bank refunded me in full, including interest charges on the disputed payments (guess they are not all bad then).
N/A

I had (naively it seems) thought that most Internet card fraud was down to people not paying proper attention to their security. This thread has alerted me to the fact that there is an awful lot of it caused by dishonest staff.
The only way that we can get round that is to buy from shops in cash.
craigyoung
Grafter

At our wedding in St Lucia, both sets of parents took us out for a meal and split the bill on their cards (only time they used them on that holiday).  A few days later, both received calls advising that their cards had been used to order large quantities of cooking equipment ( (eg hundreds of pounds of saucepans, etc).
The money got refunded, but it always seemed bizarre to me that the cards were obviously cloned or copied in the restaurant, and they then presumably used them to order stuff for the restaurant (unless it was one of the staff setting up his own business).  Not the most subtle of attempts at theft/fraud.  Unless there are countrires where it is more difficult to enforce the law and they're more likely to get away with it?  Perhaps the card ompanies don't like their staff saying "Just got to nip over to the Caribbean for a fortnight to follow up on a case. Has anyone seen my flip flops? "
Denzil
Grafter

It is certainly possible for staff to be on the fiddle. A few years ago I ordered a recon exchange part from an otherwise reputable car parts supplier, but several weeks later got a phone call to ask why I hadn't returned the old part. Luckily I had kept all the paperwork so I was able to give them invoice numbers, dispatch dates and so on. I got a call a couple of days later saying they had found what happened, and that the person concerned wasn't working there any more!