cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Fraud Weirdness

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Credit Card Fraud Weirdness

I got a call earlier today to tell me there was some odd activity on a CC account that needed verifying. On checking I saw there were some transactions certainly not done by myself, so the account in question has since been closed but what gets me is that this account is only 4 months old and has only ever been used online on three different websites.

When something like this happens it gives you a weird feeling in your gut that’s quite hard to shake off. Not just the anger at the scum using the details, but where and how did they get them!

26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Credit Card Fraud Weirdness

Some website have poor security of credit card details and get hacked, or you may have a rootkit lurking on your PC?

My son writes software for credit card systems and often bemoans the poor quality coding nowadays which invites hackers use of exploits.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Even though this is OSX and not Windows that thought had crossed my mind but :

ScanScan

But you can never be to careful.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

of course, malwarebytes can only scan for "known" threats.

what are the three websites you used? are they big online presences?
did you ever use it whilst connected to a public wifi ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There's many ways criminals can use card numbers these days, from the old fashioned skimming, right up to using algorithms to calculate and generate real card numbers, it's just up to the banks to put something in place to prevent this, but given card security and card numbers hasn't really changed much for decades, it's made the criminal's job easier, and the only "security" is being flagged up as "dodgy spending" and closing the accounts...

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

What concerns me is that some websites, Amazon being one, allow you to store your credit card details but during a transaction do not ask for the 3 digit security code on the back of the card.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

so.... your card details are stored on some computer somehwere...  very handy... but you are suggesting that the 3 digit "security" code on the back of the card... is not  ? ? ?  

er... surely once you have tapped in all your personal details, and your card details, as you " open the account ".. and then the next time you shop.. you are asked for that 3 digiti security code.. what happens to the key strokes you have just entered... ?? ?

kinda makes a mockery of the  "security" of the security code..

Minivanman
Hero

Been here before with this but all our online transactions come from one 'working capital' account whilst our other one (not that there is much in it) is never ever divulged or should I say 'exposed' online so any leaks would not have come from us, but from the bank itself.

Just a few eggs in the basket, and tell nobody about the other one. Wink   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

On Amazon in particular you never have to enter your 3 digit security number - just cardholder's name, card number and expiry date. That can be then stored for future tranactions. 

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, but with all these online transactions it's amazing how trusting we can be with a gun held to our heads in a sort of 'bend over and touch your toes' sort of way, or draw cash out of the cash point and go down to your local shop! 

Dammed if we do.....

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

I recently had another spate of fraudulent transactions on my account over 24 hours - around 12 of them ranging from several for £5 a time for a student laundry service to £80 odd for meanswear plus a Deliveroo transaction. In total well over £200.

I contacted the bank late on the Sunday evening and cancelled the card and rang the fraud department the next morning. They gave immediate refunds which was confirmed by letter a few days latter. The person I spoke to said they are aware of several online retailers whose security is lacking and when I mentioned Amazon she said I didn't hear it from her!

I contacted Deliveroo who refused to give any details of where the order was sent quoting the DPA but did say they have now terminated the account.

Strangely the replacement card has a number baring no resemblance to the previous one where usually just the last two or three digits have been changed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:
of course, malwarebytes can only scan for "known" threats.

what are the three websites you used? are they big online presences?
did you ever use it whilst connected to a public wifi ?

The sites were Amazon, Acorn DVD and Clarks Outlet

No, the card has never been offline.

Community Veteran

You were lucky Mav, my transactions were for hundreds of pounds and they'd clocked up 2Ks worth which raised the alarm, if they weren't spotted I could have been 12K in the hole!

nanotm
Pro

Mook wrote:

I got a call earlier today to tell me there was some odd activity on a CC account that needed verifying. On checking I saw there were some transactions certainly not done by myself, so the account in question has since been closed but what gets me is that this account is only 4 months old and has only ever been used online on three different websites.

When something like this happens it gives you a weird feeling in your gut that’s quite hard to shake off. Not just the anger at the scum using the details, but where and how did they get them!

is it one of the new contactless cards ?

have you ever put it in your wallet when out and about?

do you use RFID card protection pouches or have an RFID blocking wallet ?

contactless cards can be read by people walking past you a modified RFID reader, the chip return instantly provides all the card details including the 3 digit CSC off the back....

and yes its a well known problem that banks are apparently investigating a fix for to try and cut down on card fraud, despite knowing it was possible a full 12 months before they started issuing cards on a trial basis in the UK....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

@nanotm - To answer your questions:

Yes it is a contactless card.
Yes I have.
Yes I do, it’s one of these.