cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy road closure

Fixes: 47

Crazy road closure

See the illustration attached.
I'm heading out of town along road 'A' and stop at the road works traffic lights. The other carriageway is closed and inbound traffic has been diverted onto my side.
All good so far.
However a lot of traffic comes down road 'B' intending to go up road 'A' in the same direction as myself.
They can't see the traffic lights because of their position and the lights are at red.
The cars come out into the junction and wave me on, probably wondering what the hell I'm doing.
I point to the traffic lights but they can't see what I'm on about and go on their way.
They meet traffic coming the other way and with a bit of pushing and shoving they get past each other.
The oncoming traffic arrives at the junction and crosses over to their own side, the lights change to green and I proceed.
Surely the people that set up the lights at the road works have some basic understanding of traffic flow Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Crazy road closure

I doubt it..... they usually only know how to dig holes and fill them in.... the traffic lights are there to make the feel safe, cos they know the traffic is only going one way at a time.... they would not be able to cope with two way traffic.... !...  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I thought they had to consult the local council (maybe they're just as daft?).
Around here works near junctions usually involve 3-way or 4-way traffic control (increases queues but is a lot 'safer').
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Around this part of Hertfordshire road works traffic lights are installed by a private contractor that has no connection with the works contractor other than by works sub-contract presumably.
Most of the the time the system seems to work quite well, until the lights break-down that is, then chaos can reign.
Does make you wonder how the traffic light company makes a profit.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
Surely the people that set up the lights at the road works have some basic understanding of traffic flow Undecided

You'd think so but they often don't and when errors like this do come up they'll often become quite defensive about their stupidity.
I had a situation once on a motorway junction where it had cones all over the place and in the correct lane the cones sent me back down onto the motorway instead of where I wanted to go. I turned round at the next junction and went to point this out to the workmen. I got some snotty old Santa lookalike having a right go at me telling me about how he was qualified to position cones and put them in the right place etc.
Of course some of them simply don't care - if they screw up someone elses day it makes theirs all the better  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Strat
See the illustration attached.
I'm heading out of town along road 'A' and stop at the road works traffic lights. The other carriageway is closed and inbound traffic has been diverted onto my side.
All good so far.
However a lot of traffic comes down road 'B' intending to go up road 'A' in the same direction as myself.
They can't see the traffic lights because of their position and the lights are at red.
The cars come out into the junction and wave me on, probably wondering what the hell I'm doing.
I point to the traffic lights but they can't see what I'm on about and go on their way.
They meet traffic coming the other way and with a bit of pushing and shoving they get past each other.
The oncoming traffic arrives at the junction and crosses over to their own side, the lights change to green and I proceed.

Am I missing something here, or shouldn't road 'B' have signals in the same sequence as those on 'A'?? Huh
John
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Around here works near unctions usually involve 3-way or 4-way traffic control (increases queues but is a lot 'safer').

Well, the point of unctions is to soothe and comfort. I'm sure that's all part of feeling safe. Cheesy
Community Veteran

*j  Embarrassed
(Thanks Razer  Smiley)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Quote from: jab1
Am I missing something here, or shouldn't road 'B' have signals in the same sequence as those on 'A'?? Huh

Absolutely not......that's far too sensible Wink
Quote from: w23
Around here works near unctions

unc·tion  (ngkshn)
n.
1. The act of anointing as part of a religious, ceremonial, or healing ritual.
Maybe the road works guys had anointed themselves with bitter at the local pub before laying out the lights Tongue
Community Veteran

Several 'sensible' solutions appear possible:
Make exit of road 'B' left turn only (assuming there's somewhere further along road 'A' where they could turn and join the queue behind Strat)
Add a set of lights on road 'B' but with 3-way control: Road 'A' left to right, road 'A' right to left, road 'B'.
Place parking prohibition on road 'A' which appears to be two lanes wide (on the side without roadworks) and cone between the lanes for 'contraflow'.
Call me 'w23'

1) Quite possible as there is a turning point but lots of drivers round here wouldn't see the point so would ignore it.
2) Should have been considered.
3) It's a busy bus route so too narrow for a bus, a car and a line of cones.