Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cowboys

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Cowboys

Been watching a lot of cowboy type fillums on the telly lately... but have often wondered about those guys who, for whatever reason, just seem to amble about the plains, or the deserts, or the hills, for days, weeks, or months, never going into towns and shopping......

where do they get all those beans and bacon from, and where do they keep the frying pan, and the cawfee pot and the two tin cups (just in case someone should call on them when they are having lunch) Huh

If you were going to "wander the countryside" for a week, camping... imagine all the necessary stuff that you would pack in your "backpack"... 

Have you ever seen a cowboy with a rucksack on his back?   ( and don`t tell me its all in that thin blanket roll that he puts on the back of his saddle... ! ! ! ... )

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Cowboys

All those scenes were shot in the desert north of L.A. Guess they went home at night..........

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Ah but did they actually 'amble about the plains, deserts, or the hills' on their own and if so for what purpose?

My guess is even those that might have could easily have carried enough high protein food such as dried meat and of course those beans. As for those with purpose such as on cattle drives they'd have been followed by one of those old time cookie chuck wagons with the likes of old Charlie Wooster from 'Wagon Train'. Anybody remember him? 

Cowboys eh, when men were men... and jokes about women were acceptable.  🙂

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I love cowboy films, my favourite genre.

There was one on every night when I was a kid, Wells Fargo, Wagon Train, Raw Hide, Sugar Foot, Lone Ranger, Laramie..... I still have a thing about Robert Fuller. Mine you his real name Leonard Leroy Lee, doesn't have the same ring about it.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Champnet wrote:

All those scenes were shot in the desert north of L.A. Guess they went home at night..........

Or back to the RV.

And for meal times.

Maybe some Meat Free bacon too.

Cheesy

Highlighted
Champion

@Mayfly On BBC4 on thursday nigh Rio Bravo At 08:00 pm with John WayneSmiley

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@Mayfly wrote:

I love cowboy films, my favourite genre.

Mine too! I remember all the ones you mention, and a few more, watching avidly with my grandfather - I'd obviously inherited the gene.

In later years I never missed an episode of Alias Smith and Jones, though it was never quite the same after Roger Davis replaced Pete Duel.

Interesting trivia - The names "Smith" and "Jones" originated from a comment in the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, when before one of their final hold-ups, the characters are outside a bank in Bolivia and Sundance turns to Butch and says: "I'm Smith and you're Jones."

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Thanks @TTman 

I think there were 4 cowboys on weekdays and the 5th day I think was Robin Hood with Richard Green. 

Oh how uncomplicated life was then.  😆

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Looking back at those on say YouTube and they are a real joy to watch at just how bad the sets were despite the best efforts of those early day actors.

Remember William Tell, and of course Lancelot with Roger Moore. There was also a Welsh version called Llancelot staring Richard Burton filmed on location in Pontrhydyfen - but nobody seems remember that one for some reason.

Lockdown seems to have got me watching all sort now and am currently enjoying the simply awful Outer Limits. Cheap, cheerful and again with those early day actors such as Loenard Nimoy.

From films made by cowboys to films of cowboys - it's back on the trail. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

John Wayne did a number of films with Monument valley in the background hard to beat scenery like that.

Sad that the Indians in most of those films were the bad guys.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman 

One I used to like watching was Blake’s 7.....sure most of the scenes were shot in quarries and half way through Blake himself left the series but I thought it had potential despite the errors.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Lockdown seemed to have brought out lots of oldies to the screen again.

Currently I'm watching the A Team and the Fugitive, (not at the same time).

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mayfly wrote:

Lockdown seemed to have brought out lots of oldies to the screen again.

Currently I'm watching the A Team and the Fugitive, (not at the same time).

I `ll watch most things with subtitles.... like Emmerdale... and Korean Drama series on You Tube...

It doesn`t matter that you don`t understand the language, when there is the subtitles.. ! ! ! ...( yeah that goes for Emmerdale too ! ! ! )

Cheesy

Far too many forreners   Shocked ( scousers and geordies,) in the village ...  Yokshure forever ! ! Smiley ( bring back the Wheeltappers and Shunters club chairman) ..

someone is bound to say that`s racist... but being a scouser or a geordie, is a "localistation" .( and something to be proud of Smiley...... back home ! ! ! )..... not a "race" in the proper sense of the word...

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Ay up Mr Wilks 'ave thee seen Amos.?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Nay Lass.... mebbe ont` ilkly moor, baht`at....Smiley