cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cow kills man in bed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Cow kills man in bed

A report on the BBC website gives the story of a man killed by a cow falling through the roof on to his bed.  That gives his wife something to beef about.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Cow kills man in bed

No more puns on this tragic accident, Please.
Community Veteran

What's your beef ?  Grin
On a more serious note though, RIP the poor bloke Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

And it's future victims.. who will no doubt still slaughter and eat it despite breathing in asbestos from the roof it fell through...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Did the roof have asbestos in it Undecided
Community Veteran

Unfortunately yes.

Not good for anyone eating the cow..
Community Veteran

Some reports say asbestos whilst others say corrugated. (Telegraph) Guess we'll never know.   Wink Wink
That's all I herd about it Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

They aren't contradictory as asbestos roofs of that type were corrugated and the alternative (given the likely age) would probably be steel which isn't usual due to its short life (note I assume that it wouldn't be galvanised)
Community Veteran

Indeedy and corrugated material is just a method of strengthening it. (like the internal structure of a cardboard box) but not a material in its own right.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The asbestos ('fibre cement') sheets that used to be used for roofing were pretty much always corrugated.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: picbits
What's your beef ?  Grin
On a more serious note though, RIP the poor bloke Sad

Whilst this may seem to be "funny" to some. I find it very tragic, that a family, and especially his wife, are now devastated losing the (probably) main breadwinner in such a poor country. where there are no "social security benefits" as we have.
Consider their way of life, and how hard it is to cope on a daily basis, compared to your own, and realise how lucky you are to be who you are, and where you live.
A little respect may not be apparent to the family, but I feel this tragic accident should not be used as a source of frivolity.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Agreed, shutter.
Maybe this thread would not have been started if the incident had occurred in Britain.  Undecided
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Someone would have still started it but the jokes probably wouldn't have been put forward.
I think it's a sad event for all involved and it may still have future repercussions if they slaughter the cow. That would be even worse because it could wipe out many villagers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In all honesty, any risk from brief exposure to (broken) asbestos cement sheeting is minimal.  The long term risk from living in a building with this material is greater but not remotely on the same scale as the risks posed by loose fibre asbestos insulation (or working long-term with the material).
The main risk from asbestos sheet roofs is usually due to their fragile nature causing falls (usually humans rather than animals) - does anyone remember what used to be a fairly common sight on council garage blocks having signs 'Danger, fragile roof - use crawl-boards'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
I think it's a sad event for all involved and it may still have future repercussions if they slaughter the cow. That would be even worse because it could wipe out many villagers.

w23, you've beaten me to it.  I can't think there is any risk at all if the cow is slaughtered.  I would imagine in that part of the world it would be the natural thing to do.