cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid App

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Covid App

The new NHS Covid app went live this morning. It can be downloaded from covid19.nhs.uk

As I went into my club to play tennis this morning we were all invited to download the app and then to scan the club's QR code to log our arrival.

It will be interesting to see how it will work.

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Covid App

It will work fine as long as you remember to sanitize your balls before playing with them. 😉

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Fault ! 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@shutter You cannot be serious!  wink.gif

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Doesn't work on older IOS devices and probably the same for older android handsets too.

Now it's Apple and Google who've screwed the world over lol. Well.. when you keep trying to force updates on people on devices that work perfectly well just to get sales it's gonna backfire at some point - just like apple slowing down phones.

In the mean time i can't help but wonder why it took so long and cost so much to produce the app in the first place. They had similar in South Korea ages ago. For an app that does such a simple function, i can't help but wonder what other code was bundled into it to require so much time and money. Don't get me wrong i do believe this crisis is real and the government are (in a wishy washy manner) trying to get a grasp of the situation but what is so special about this app?

Is it reading peoples contacts?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

For what it's worth a 'survey' on twitter was asking how many would download they app if they were able to and a large majority replied they wouldn't. No chance on mine anyway as it must be at least five years old but no, I'd not bother either.

And @shutter reading earlier that in the Middle Ages there was a superstition that women could prevent pregnancy by wearing weasel testicles as a necklace. 😋

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@198kHz wrote:

@shutter You cannot be serious!  wink.gif

@shutter probably isn't a tennis star @198kHz but shouldn't that be "You cannot be Sirius"?  Cheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

could prevent pregnancy by wearing weasel testicles as a necklace

Must have worked for the Weasels.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

My iPhone 5s won’t work, my iPad would work but it hasn’t got a SIM card, so it won’t work.

Unless someone is going to update my devices, at no charge, then I’ll have to pass....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

The app will only be useful if it is downloaded by lots of people. In Scotland it was downloaded by 1m people in its first week.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

Fault ! 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

O.P.`s note.... it was meant to be that way.... as the call in tennis is a "shout "....  therefore not breaking forum rules.  ( well... not really ) ... Azn

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@artmo wrote:

The app will only be useful if it is downloaded by lots of people. In Scotland it was downloaded by 1m people in its first week.

Which.... unfortunately, is less than 20% of the population... Undecided

Highlighted
Dabbler

The Scottish version of the app only needed 15% of the population to download and use the app for effective Track and Trace coverage.

So it's win.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Downloaded the app yesterday - already had an app update download today.

Bug fixes according to Google play store.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

It never ceases to amaze me just how many apps seem to need to be fixed every other day and updated on the google play store.

Literally some of them are in need of updates every couple of days. It's crazy.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!